Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got my tadpoles and have about 4-6 weeks before they morph out. I ordered two cultures from JoshsFrogs. They came in about a week or so ago and both took off quite quickly. I got the ones that said they should be ready to go in a week or so and they are. My only question though is when is a culture in its prime to start a new culture? As in when should i take flies out of one culture to start a new one? My assumption is when i start to see a boom of new flies? Meaning a new generation has begun in the cup and the new culture will have younger flies?

Just an easy question that i havent seen for some reason. Along with how often should i make new cultures to main a constant flow of cultures? That kinda relates to when are they primed, but just checking if its different.

Thanks,
Wayne

PS. The tadpoles are P. Aurotaenia.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Wayne. Here is a nice guide for you. Check it out and see if it takes care of your questions plus a few. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/62277-guide-making-ff-cultures.html
You are right about needing a constant flow of cultures. I make new cultures every Sunday. Every week without fail. Making your own cultures is cheap. Running short and paying 10 bucks each plus shipping is not.
I prefer to wait a week or so AFTER it starts producing to use for new cultures. I think Ed explains why in that thread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug,

Ill check it out later this afternoon. Thats what i did with the cultures i got from JoshsFrogs. They had laid and some had started to pop so i just figured i would 'guesstimate' and i started a new culture from each. The tads wont be frogs for a bit so i get some time to practice. Ill read that article and hopefully it will just emphasize what i am already thinking.

Thanks

Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts