Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have 5 vents that are about 4 months old now. I just finished their 10 gallon vert, and I am not sure what else to do for them to make them breed when they are ready. I mainly am not sure on how to place the film canisters. Should they be higher up, out of light? lower to the ground? do they prefer them to be in light? Should I fill them with water? Moss? What about bromeliads. I have two smaller broms in their 10 right now, a neo tropiflora, and a neo fireball. I have a big selection from my broms so, I could always put bigger ones in. Also, do they need a type of pool section? I would have to do this before I have them living in the 10. Well, anything that I can be told will be appreciated. I haven't seen all of these questions answered yet, so that is the only reason I am making this post. (so none of that, "DO a search" nonesense :D ) THanks in advance,

Ed Parker

G

·
do a search

j/k i havent got a clue, as ive never owned vents, but id really like a pair. i will be following along for the info you gather, for when i get some id like them to breed :D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hi Ed

Hi Ed,

Mine took some time before they were comforatable enough to breed on me. But as far as thumbs go they will go nuts when they are ready. Its getting em to stop that's the trick. Place some film canisters at a 45 degree angle on the glass about half way up the tank, and by some plants. Fill the container to the brim and stand back. You will find them practically 100% submerged in the film canister. Mine do the orgy thing and I have 2 females in with my alpha male. They get deep down and they just pear their snouts above the water. I have also noticed that getting the eggs out is a pain so any dendroboarder suggestion is most welcome. I got mine from Jon Werner and AZDR by the way.
Dave

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
we cut a film canister in half and place it inside a whole film canister this then lay the canaster with the cut part down.......when the eggs are deposted then you just pull out the half canister and put in another half canister or so on.......hope this helps

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ed wrote:
I mainly am not sure on how to place the film canisters. Should they be higher up, out of light? lower to the ground? do they prefer them to be in light? Should I fill them with water? Moss?
I have my second breeding group (all offspring of my first breeding group - which I sold) of vents in a horizontal 10 gallon. I had the first group in a similar setup. I place film canisters (black and translucent) on the glass sides (right under the lights and in behind the light as well) as well as on the floor. They just began laying recently and have laid in both black and translucent as well as both levels (glass sides and flooer). I have a glass lid on the entire top and it is humid in there. I have no bromeliads as I want to collect eggs for a while.

My first groups' first tank had bromeliads in it. THe frogs would lay in the axils and transport tadpoles. I started putting film canisters in the axils and started to get eggs there regularly (I stopped watering the bromeliad heavily and would only fill up the canisters).

I try and have my film canisters on a 45 degree angle and fill them with as much water as they will hold. They always lay under the water. Once I see that the eggs appear to be viable, I usually spray with water and dump them into glass baby food jars with a section of dead oak leaf (for the tanins). The glass baby food jar is filled about 3/4 with water and the eggs are completely submerged.

Eventually (when I have a large enough group) I will set up two groups in some 30 gallon tall tanks and have bromeliads in with them and allow them to raise the tadpoles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yuri,

How many Vents do you keep in a group and at what ratio?

I'm just now trying to get the Vents, I got from you, to breed.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Tim,

I keep my group of five in a ten gallon horizontal. I think I have at least 1.2 and am not sure on the other two. My plan was to try and observe them and pull out extras until I got a small group in there (maybe 2.2 or maybe 1.1 and split off another group of 1.1 in another tank). SO far I have not been able to figure out exactly who is who (based on variations in pattern). I like ot keep them very wet. I have a good 1 inch of water standing in the tank. The tank has LECA (expanded clay pellets) substrate, over which sits landscape fabric (not treated, watch out some have chemicals imbedded in them), then some finely shredded coco husk fiber as well as some Fafards soil mix. I have some moss and a couple of different ferns growing in there as well some small leaved creeping vines. The frogs hide easily as there is fairly dense growth.

This group is over six months old and has just started laying viable clutches.

I have three others that were raised together with these five, but I separated them out to try and determine if I could find a calling male among them (no calling yet).

I should have prefaced this by saying that I do not spend a lot of time with my frogs observing them. I would like to, but other aspects of life get in the way (job, house maintenance, geckos ...).

The parents of these frogs were also in a ten gallon. I never did figure out exact ratios but was pretty sure I had at least two males.

What size tank do you have them in?

Is the tank on the wet side or dry side? (my tank grows algae on the sides and I have to clean the glass regularly, otherwise I would not see anything inside and I have a tight fitting glass top with no ventilation panel).

Do you have any egg laying sites? (bromeliads with water in the axils, film canister or other small vessels with water inside?)[/i]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts