Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some ineresting breeding behavior today amoung my auratus and thought I would share. As some of you know I keep a fairly large group of auratus together in a big display tank. These guys are so great to watch in a big group, the interactions are just fascinating. In the big group get to see a lot of behavior that the frogs just don't exhibit in pairs or trios.

Well this mourning, as about this time every week, my dominate female was feeling a bit randy and was trying to get my younger mature male in the mood. When my oldest male male realised this he stepped in and ran the younger male off. And they proceeded into their usual day long court ship. Well when I got home this afternoon they were in a bromeliad and the female was in the middle of droping some eggs. About an hour later she was off foraging and the male was finshing up his fertilization duties. Now here is where it gets interesting, about an hour after the older male finished up the younger male (which had been run off earlier) climbed up on the eggs a proceeded to re-fertilize them. It was pretty wild to see him do that.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior with thier frogs?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I actually see this behavior about twice a week with my Castaneoticus. I posted an account about this about a month ago in this section as a matter of fact. I believe I named the thread "double fertilization". I asked the same question you did, but received no replys, so I suppose it's not a common thing to see.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a group 4:1 of D. azureus and see this all the time...usually the same older male gets the first "shot" so to speak :) and then one of the younger males takes his turn...sometims two males with be with the female as she is laying the eggs and I have not seen any fighting during the process.

Tammy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts