Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my fantasticus in separate shoeboxes for the last few months and now that I'm satified they're thriving, I've decided to mix them together. Does anyone here know at what age I should expect to see breeding behavior?

Thanks very much!
-John

·
Registered
665 Posts
Best of luck in getting yours to breed. I have had an adult pair for about 6 months with nothing yet. The female is extremely fat, but I havent heard any calling from the male yet. Speaking with many other people who have these frogs it seems that the breeding of them is pretty difficult and very on and off.

rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi,

The call of fantasticus is pretty darn quiet which is probably why you don't hear it. My male fantasticus is even quieter than my amazonicus! I usually see my male fantasticus call and even when I am watching him call I can barely hear him over the fans in the room....the fat female does follow the little guy around and rub his back but no eggs that I have found yet and they have been behaving like this for months.

Tammy

G

·
Our Fantasticus are one of the most fickle Thumbs we are working with. Ours started breeding at about eight months. They tend to produce very well for periods and then nothing for even longer periods. Give them tons of space to hide. Keep them only in pairs, the females can be very, very, nasty to each other . Good luck,

Rich

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
My experience also - and I got rid of the wrong frog! One laid 4 or 5 eggs at a time, the other 1. The smaller one laid more eggs! Go figure. I would have kept them at 1.2 but I caught some tongue lashing going on.

I have seen many people keep theirs in colonies though.

s
The ReturnOfJ105 said:
.... Keep them only in pairs, the females can be very, very, nasty to each other.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for the tips! As far as I can tell, I have at least one female. The others may be a bit young to sex at this point. I have them in a large rubbermaid with a snap-tight lid. Of course, I'd love to build a stunning viv for them, but things like work, food, and sleep have been getting in the way lately.

-John

G

·
One last tip that I forgot to add. This one goes for almost every thumb we work with. Although the female may be larger in many cases, this is most definitely not a foolproof way of sexing. We work with breeding pairs/tios/groups that have females which would fool most. I bring this up because I am strongly suggesting that one female per enclosure is enough. I also have received "females" in trade that decided to learn how to call, they can fool the best.

Rich

G

·
Our fantasticus are kept in a 1.1 ratio. Along with what the others have said we only get 1-2 eggs per month. The female was proven and found out she laid nice size clutches before, so I guess she doesn't like here new man near as well, but he is just became of age too. I do know a guy that kept his in a 20 long (I think that is what it was) in a 1.2 ratio had had decent luck with pulling froglets. He never bothered with pulling eggs or tads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.