Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an exo terra from a local frogger last week. There's cork attached to the sides of the tank with black pond foam. I'd like to take it all down and start the tank over anew, but I'm really struggling with getting this back and sideground without breaking the glass. Ive tried using a razor blade with very little success and theres got to be a better way.

Anyone have any ideas or tips on ways to effectively remove the foam?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You could try a hair dryer. I don't know if that would work on the foam but it works well for the silicone.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think that UV light will weaken the foam, so maybe you could let it sit in the sun for a while? I know that works with normal great stuff, but I'm thinking that the pond foam is made to resist UV. Might be worth a try at least. If not, you can always rent a jackhammer, that should take care of it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well crap. Looks like this is just going to be a real pain in the .... plain and simple.

I'll probably experiment and see what I can find that works then. I won't have time to get around to it until the end of the week though, so if anyone has any other tips/suggestions I'd still love to hear them.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
My first time working with great stuff I used the black GS to attach cork directly to the glass (no silicone). After being misted and humid for a month it began releasing so badly I had to redo it.
So how about trying soaking it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know some foams will react really badly to some spray paints...??? could that be worth looking into. Maybe if the paint ate away at the foam you could get it to release?

·
Registered
527 Posts
i would say try some paint thinner or liquorthinner maybe. that might break it down if you can get it to go in between the glass and the foam it might make it break its bond. I always use laquorthinner for getting glue or clear coat off my hands or anything it gets on and it seems to work. Speaking of glue you could even maybe try some goof off. haha that might work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I got it all off last night. I used a thin and wide plastic cake decorating tool to get behind it and pry it off. It gave the right amount of leverage and dispersed the force on the glass over a large enough area that with a bit of work they all popped out and the glass didn't crack.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Cool, glad you took care of it, I would have suggesting taking a knife or razor blade and cutting the foam in strips to get one section at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts