Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Repticon and got some broms $4 a piece and Tillsandsias, the one in the middle was $3 and the two top ones were $1.25(I think).
I met up with
Field/fielsieldnstream and he hooked me up with some peperomias, a begonia, a bunch of wondering jew lol, and he gave me a small springtail culture. I also bought some of Fields ABG and leaf litter
then I met up with Jason/itsott and he hooked me up with some cuttings as well...more wondering jew lol, some verigated peperromias, some vine I cant remember what he said it was XD, some type of fern, some ivy(didn't use), fittonia(didn't use).
two very awesome guys who made me very happy today :)

so here is all that I wound up coming home with...and only pulled $25 from my wallet...

here is the ABG leaf litter and springs I got from Field

here was the tank before....

and now the chaos begins :rolleyes:
the silicone pulled away from the bottom pane of glass cause I wasn't using my brain and didn't think just to remove the top glass.

-____________________-

then I go to Ace and they didn't have good silicone so I opted for epoxy...I called ahead of time and they said they had marine epoxy but nope I get there and there isn't any :/

the tear down...

testing the arrangement...looks good...what do you think?

arranging more plants...

now I will show you the plants the the full take shot for the finale.
need help to ID some scientific names and the broms....

this is my fav brom even tho idk it's name XD. been wanting one since I saw it months ago....I'm so happy I found it :D

love this one..needs ID

this one I liked as well...this one and the one above had stolons so I just shoved the stolons into the background.

shoved into the background..

here is the Tills :)
this one will grow upwards so I put it here and it will grow up towards the fan..Tills need lots of air movement in case ya didn't know. Needs ID.

this one is very colorful and shoots blue flowers...
I broke one of the leaves :'(

I think this one is different than the one above although it was in the same basket I think it was there by accident so I grabbed it hoping it's different than the other.

here is a close up of the the broms

begonia...given to me by Field/fieldnstream

verigated peperomias? give to me by Jason/itsott
front of tank

back right corner

pilea creeping charlie...given by Field

wondering jew in the back right corner and a pepromia glabela on the right (Field)

another wondering jew (Jason)

a peperomia....ID? (Field) and umbrella plants to the right

2 types of ferns...one bought a Petsmart and the other given to me by Jason.
they looked droopy when they first went in last night

here they are today

here is that vine that I cant cant remember what it's called given to me by Jason it is sorta behind the till...

here is some FTS

from the top...

here is a pic I just took and you can see that the ferns have straightened back up...

what do you think???

please rate my thread....thank you :)
hopefully I'll get a pair of thumbnails soon

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey that turned out great! :D
thank you

got a question about film container sites and what to attach the suction cups to and where to put them...what color...what angle....
breed is gonna be most likely imitators or another thumbnail pair

·
Registered
532 Posts
I 2nd the fact that it looks better. I think it looks more natural this way. I use black and white film canisters and have gotten more eggs in the black ones. The angle is around a 45 to 50 degrees. You can put some in the leaf litter but I get better results when they are on the glass. Don't know what the vine is though, sorry.

Good looking tank,
Alex

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I 2nd the fact that it looks better. I think it looks more natural this way. I use black and white film canisters and have gotten more eggs in the black ones. The angle is around a 45 to 50 degrees. You can put some in the leaf litter but I get better results when they are on the glass. Don't know what the vine is though, sorry.

Good looking tank,
Alex
thanks for the compliments and the info :)

what could I use to attach the suction cups to the canisters?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looking good. Drill a small hole on the canister. Then insert the tip of the suction cup in it. It's that easy.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or you could buy them from joshsfrogs.com b/c they have them already have them with the suction cup and they are really cheap.
I have the containers and i cn get the suction cups for like 3 bucks...what I'm doing is gonna be cheaper and I can have them no vs waiting

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I didn't know that. So just drill a hole big enough for the tip of the suction cup.
Well I was meaning to hold the suction cup to the container.....
Some suction cups don't have the notches like to ones I just bought at the dollar store for $1.
They do have plastic hooks slid through then and I'm gonna cut the hook off and use it as a pin.

I'm guessing I need to sanitize these film containers eh?

·
Registered
169 Posts
then I go to Ace and they didn't have good silicone so I opted for epoxy...I called ahead of time and they said they had marine epoxy but nope I get there and there isn't any :/
Ace has good silicone, you can get the singles in the store and it comes in black. I used it and the only problem was the length of time I had to let it sit to stop smelling. Took 2 weeks to be safe.

Ace® 50 Year 100% Silicone Sealant - 12 Pack - Pure Silicone Caulk - Ace Hardware

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice plants but with all that color I hope you can still see your frogs once you get some

Ace has good silicone, you can get the singles in the store and it comes in black. I used it and the only problem was the length of time I had to let it sit to stop smelling. Took 2 weeks to be safe.

Ace® 50 Year 100% Silicone Sealant - 12 Pack - Pure Silicone Caulk - Ace Hardware
I just went back by the old house and got my tube of black GEII
if that ACE silicone has microban or bioseal in it, it can mess with your eggs.
I still used GEII for my background tho cause the frogs wont lay them on the background.

I didn't have to use any adhesive at all...
you can visit my build journal (link below) to see how's I made the canisters but the canisters have inserts in them for easy egg pulling.

btw here is an update with the film canisters....more info here in my build journal http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...rt-semi-n00b-viv-pic-heavy-15.html#post656948

I put one up top in case I have one of those frogs who likes one way up top.

I'm gonna get some jungle pods for the floor of the viv instead of canisters

yes everyone I have a separate thread but this one is for to showcase the viv but the build journal is longer and goes more in depth.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like I said the ACE is good. Read the link its 100% silicone appproved by USDA. Not like GEII.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like I said the ACE is good. Read the link its 100% silicone appproved by USDA. Not like GEII.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
cool I'll check it out
I just got one question...Does it come in black (Batman Begins reference lol)

Reactions: JakkBauer

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks great, I love the broms you have in there!

The bright red/pink looks to be a fireball. Not sure on the rest since there are so many types of broms out there. I just got a dozen broms from Jason and they are all different types.

Some of those plants are going to get quite large, so keep some scissors handy. ;)

I'd still recomend finding a pet store that carries aquarium silicon. Normally comes in clear or black.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts