Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a newly morphed azureus froglet (~5 days OOW) that spends the vast majority of "his" time hiding (not unusual, I've heard) but hasn't touched the ~20 fruit flies I put in on day 3. There are plenty of springtails in the tank, and on the very few occasions I've seen him, he looked like he was eating them.

What worries me is the lack of supplementation if all he's eating is springs. So I guess 1) is it normal for newly morphed froglets to just hang out in one spot chowing down on springtails? 2) How long can this go on before I should be worried about the lack of calcium from not eating the dusted flies? And 3) Should I try to remove some springtails / the undusted flies to encourage eating dusted flies?

I hope I'm just being an overly paranoid new dart parent (not tearing into the viv every time I can't find him has been a difficult endeavor). I've put my grow out viv setup and a pic below, let me know if any other info is required.

Thanks in advance.

Grow out setup is: 10 gallon aquarium planted tank (drainage, ABG, leaf litter) with a cocohut. Mesh lid covered with glass except a 1.5" strip at the back for ventilation. Seeded with springtails about 2 months ago (now has a thriving population). Temps 68 (night) to 74 (day). Misting every morning with the top of the leaf litter drying off around mid afternoon.

Plant Botany Houseplant Rectangle Grass

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are all of your springtails in the tank or do you have a separate culture? If you have a separate culture try dusting the springtails and add them instead of the f.f.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a separate culture that I used to seed the tank, but I haven't added any since that initial set up (2 months ago). There were several leaves that wilted away and are decomposing, which is what I think caused the springtail population boom.

I suppose I could start adding in dusted springtails, but given how many are already in there, it seems unlikely those specific ones would get eaten before the dust fell off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your frogs are hiding because they are in a new place and there's a lot of light on their tank. They will eventually go find food. I would not add more springtails to it, personally, as they are difficult to dust with supplements. Keep feeding a FEW flies each day, dusting them every time.
Thanks for the advice! I'll admit when I added the first group, it ended up being way more than I thought (the pile of them looked tiny in the cup). I'll make sure to add much smaller amounts in the future.

Regarding the tank lighting: I do have the ability to dim the tank lighting, is that something you'd recommend doing?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to hijack the post. But the store had two different species of fruit flies. One was smaller than the other. Do new frogs (mine are raising from tadpoles right now) need the smaller ones, or does the size not matter as much?

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
Not to hijack the post. But the store had two different species of fruit flies. One was smaller than the other. Do new frogs (mine are raising from tadpoles right now) need the smaller ones, or does the size not matter as much?
Generally speaking , melanogaster are better with new froglets as they are smaller flies.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I raised many froglets and it's completely normal for them not to eat for their first couple days oow. Many times I don't bother trying to feed them for the first week or so (I have plenty of springtails in with them if they do eat). I find fruit flies do more harm than good at this point since they can stress them if there are too many.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So as a follow-up, I was indeed being too paranoid. Now 8 days OOW, he has finally started leaving the safety of his leaf den and venturing out to the rest of the tank. I still haven't seen him eat a FF, but he's actively chasing down springtails rather than just eating what's around him so that's a good sign, and I imagine he's probably snagging a few while I'm not watching.

Also got the lighting reduced per recommendations here. Thanks for the advice everyone, here's a few pics I've been able to snag.
Poison dart frog Frog True frog Toad Organism

Poison dart frog Frog True frog Terrestrial animal Amphibian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts