Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Holy crap that is pretty.....Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
awesome looking toad! i really like how "lanky" it is, particularly the digits. just stunning.

so when will we get some imported? ;)
james

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome looking toad! i really like how "lanky" it is, particularly the digits. just stunning.

so when will we get some imported? ;)
james
I'll be honest that I thought it'd be an awesome animal to see in a vivarium, but I hope that isn't the case (at least not until we know how the population is doing and if it can handle some collection). In the mean time, I'll enjoy the photos and try to let Conservation International know that I want to be on some of the excursions...

·
Registered
179 Posts
That thig is awesome...but I'm with you, hopefully we won't be able to get them anytime soon, hopefully they can find stable populations and we can get them eventually.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The whole genus is pretty much a rough Old World equivalent to Atelopus,(stream dwellers/breeders etc.) so I imagine any of the species would be difficult in captivity. I wonder if any species have ever been imported?.....

Cool toad though! Thanks for the link, JVK

·
Registered
314 Posts
nice looking toad, i wonder how closely related it is to the bombina species
Bombinas are Disclossids, which are quite a bit removed from Bufonids, and great deal more primitive as I understand it. Fire bellies closest relatives are Disglossus(painted frogs), Alytes(Midwife Toads), and Barbourula( ?), though I may have missed somebody :)

@ Monarchman, weird that they even move slow, convergent evolution is a trip.

Are any members of the Genus of any interest to USA zoos? Meaning, @ Zookeepers on here, are there any on display in the States? Thanks! JVK

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Nice looking toad. I just wish they would show some images where they didn't mess with the hue/saturation so much and try to make it look ultra-rainbow-y.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've never heard of any Ansonia in zoos, but it's possible. There are some crazy looking frogs in the genus

Bufonidae
Some of the smaller SE Asian toad species used to come in from the exporters...but didn't sell well at all. Those of us who like 'little brown frogs' aren't in great enough numbers to support such a market or create much of a demand for such species, so you rarely see them come in.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Nice looking toad. I just wish they would show some images where they didn't mess with the hue/saturation so much and try to make it look ultra-rainbow-y.
From NatGeo-

VS

VS

Somebody just MIGHT be messing with photoshop (though a direct link from Conservation International led to pic #2 also.... *shrug*)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts