Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone still working with these? how are they in terms of care? do they breed readily? what type of setup is best in captivity? i'd assume a fast flowing stream, since that's where they're found?

Post viv pics if you have them!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone still working with these? how are they in terms of care? do they breed readily? what type of setup is best in captivity? i'd assume a fast flowing stream, since that's where they're found?

Post viv pics if you have them!!
Hey Jeremy, Boophis is a huge and diverse genus. It includes ground frogs, tree frogs, water frogs and everything in between. JVK

·
Registered
314 Posts
i should've probably made that a bit more clear :p I meant the arboreal Boophis Sp.
Hey Jeremy, I think you're referring to the see-through, "glass-frog" types. The most recent (off the top of my head) have been B. ankaratra, B. siblans, B. luteus, etc. I doubt all of these frogs are tied to running water, though their similarities to New World Centrolenids are pretty remarkable. Whatever the case, stemcellular is the guy to talk to about their care. He needs to update his thread ;) . Mantisdragon also has a great deal of helpful info about the genus.

I have 2 male Boophis microtympanum. They are relatively specialized in habitat and temperature, but have proven pretty hardy after they were stabilized. As far as the genus as a whole, I would think a generic tropical setup for any of the species would be a good starting point. Just keep in mind that areas of Madagascar can get quite cool. JVK

·
Registered
314 Posts
Been waiting (forever) for an update on these guys....hijack over.
"Forever" is pretty dramatic :cool:

Seriously, the lighting is key with these frogs as far as pics. If it's off, they just look like brown Ranids. I've been wanting to catch them in their "full splendor", I'll try to dig up some old pics, but the lighting makes them look "yellowy".

They've been calling all of a sudden for some reason. It's been hot here, so I don't get it. Originally they called a lot in chilly early spring. They're pretty talkative, and have a growly sort of "rocks rolling together" sort of call. They like larger prey, their water got pretty full of tannins, and their pump has been burnt out for a bit, so no running water for a few weeks. Temps max have been 80. JVK

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Forever" is pretty dramatic :cool:

Seriously, the lighting is key with these frogs as far as pics. If it's off, they just look like brown Ranids. I've been wanting to catch them in their "full splendor", I'll try to dig up some old pics, but the lighting makes them look "yellowy".

They've been calling all of a sudden for some reason. It's been hot here, so I don't get it. Originally they called a lot in chilly early spring. They're pretty talkative, and have a growly sort of "rocks rolling together" sort of call. They like larger prey, their water got pretty full of tannins, and their pump has been burnt out for a bit, so no running water for a few weeks. Temps max have been 80. JVK
Do you have pics of their tanks? did you have a screen top? glass top?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts