Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would appreciate some advice for my Bombinas please.

I have 7 adults and they have always been enthusiastic feeders, leaping on crickets without hesitation. For the last 1-2 months, they have been quite sluggish and I often find that the crickets I put into their enclosure are still hanging around, sometimes even crawling on the frog. They don't seem very interested at all and, on the rare occasion that they try to take a nibble, they spit it back out again.

I thought it might be the temperature, so have installed some heating lamps and also a small water heater to take the edge out the water. They have a cool end and a hot end, and Im monitoring to make sure there is a gradient. I tried dusting the crickets with vitamins/calcium and I thought perhaps they didnt like the taste, so started to gut load the crickets instead - but they still don't care. I also tried putting the frogs in a feeding box, but all they want to do is escape. I have tried crickets, wax worms, Im going to try mealworms next but only this once since I read they are not meant to be that great for them. In addition, I noticed that the females are a little puffy - I thought it might be some eggs left over from this summer's breeding but she has been like that for a while now. I change water regularly, clean the tank etc and they have a decent amount of space to hop around in, I upgraded their tank about 6 months ago and they were happy enough until the last 2 months. They must be eating, perhaps when Im not looking, but its difficult to know if I should be doing anything more for them right now.

Overall, they do seem kind of sluggish - I don't know if this is due to the time of year or something else. In contrast, my 4 babies (in a separate tank) are all over everything I feed them and are as enthusiastic as ever.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you -
M

·
Registered
984 Posts
How often are you feeding them?

Orientalis are very robust, and can deal with a huge range of temperatures. They can go long periods without eating too. During brumation, I will often only feed once or twice a month for instance. They may be reacting to the change in temperature, and their metabolism may have slowed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply - I am feeding them 3 times a week, around 1 cricket each. Is that too much for the adults?
No, not at all. Let them sit for a week, see if they will be interested in food after that. You may also want to separate males from females and see if that kick starts them eating as well.

Are you supplementing with every feeding as well? If so, what are you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, not at all. Let them sit for a week, see if they will be interested in food after that. You may also want to separate males from females and see if that kick starts them eating as well.

Are you supplementing with every feeding as well? If so, what are you using?
Thanks, Chris. I will do that - the males and females are still separated after the breeding frenzy this year. I am dusting for everyone once a week with Repashy calcium plus and also a general vitamin powder called Herptivite, also they are getting some liquid vitamin drops in the water every week or two, which they do OK with. Should I be dusting every meal?

I think I am overfeeding them, then - I was wondering how they know its winter though, since the light on them up until now was UV for a nice day/night cycle so Im surprised they dont think its summer. But clearly they know more than I do. I do know they dont really need UV though, outside of natural, so I have an infrared bulb on them now.

Incidentally, I want to avoid them breeding again, but do you think they would start it up if I mixed the males and females now? I read that breeding was May until Sep and they have certainly stopped whooping at each other, which I assume is purely mating behaviour...

·
Registered
984 Posts
They can certainly breed any time of the year, so if you don't want them to breed, then don't mix them ;) They can sense the weather though - through humidity and barometric pressure as the seasons change, so their activities can vary depending on the time of year. You can simulate different seasons, but it doesn't always work.

My suggestion for you is to stop using the vitamin drops and stop using Herptivite. Begin dusting their food every time with Repashy Calcium Plus - that is all you need.

I've heard of others using UV with them - and I don't think it is harmful, but certainly not a necessity (especially if not breeding) if you are using Calcium Plus (it has D3 in it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, thank you - I will do that. I guessed it might be barometric pressure (clever little things) but wasn't sure. They seem to know what they are doing, though! Thanks for all your help - and I won't be mixing the males and females, I really cant go back to having another 200 babies hopping all over the place! Much obliged for your help :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts