Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what some good bog plants are? Some that will grow out of water, where the leaves rise up, kinda like dwarf elephant ear plants. But i dont want anything that grows to large.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
370 Posts
Go to your local fish store and look at what they have for aquarium plants. If the plant is able to suport its own sturcture when taken out of the water chances are it normally grows as an emergant. A lot of the plants sold to use in aquariums are emergents that are tolerable of being completely submersed. Java fern (while not really fitting the above description) works well as bog plant. I started some in my drip wall and it is really taking off. Anubis of course is a good one, and there are many different looking ones to chose from. Most if not all of the Parrot Feathers when given the oppourtunity will grow up and out of the water.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also heard certain types of arrowhead plants can grow semi emersed, is this true?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Depends on what you are calling an Arrowhead plant. Most of the Aroids we keep (Phillodendron, Syngonium, ...) are tolerable of extremely wet substrates and may do just fine as a bog plant.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talking about syngonium, got several color morphs(not sure if total different species.) Also wanted to point out how crazy some species of syngonium are! One in my front has two different shaped leaves, when growing on the groung they are the traditional arrow shape, but once they climb they get a completely different one.

G

·
bog plants

you could try mexican butterwart but another absolutely great plant is the liverwort marchantia polymorpha. its absolutely brill in vivs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sward plants are great, as are anubus, hairgrass,duckweed,im gessing some aroids are ok and of coars the real bog plants the carniverusplants

1 - 12 of 12 Posts