Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned other frogs before but this is my first tree frog and my first milky. This morning I noticed the blue spot on his back. He eats well, currently he is eating dubias dusted with calcium and I throw in flightless fruit flies for fun. Usually when I feed him at night time he goes right after a dubia if it's placed in his eyeline. He is in a bioactive setup with isopods, drainage, all that. Temps in the terrarium are between 70-75F, and humidity is always above 60%. I have had him for almost a month and am not sure how old he is exactly. When I got him he was about 3/4 of an inch and he's grown to about an inch long and I observed at least one shed this week. He's pretty active at night (he's nocturnal) and for the last few nights he's hung out in his water dish for a couple of hours.
He has always had a darker color on the top of his head, which looks like most other small milk frogs I've seen online. This was the best photo I could get of him right now, the spot I am worried about is right in the center under his large black stripe. In person it looks a lot more blue!
Does anyone know what this is? I've looked everywhere I can for information and cant find anything.
Automotive tire Wood Hat Organism Helmet

·
Registered
144 Posts
Which spot are you referring too?, I think I'm gonna need a better picture. I don't keep milks but I know someone who breeds them and I can ask him if he thinks its looks odd.
Automotive tire Circle Art Soil Auto part

Anyway I want a picture of his back in the light, cant really see it in the shadow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which spot are you referring too?, I think I'm gonna need a better picture. I don't keep milks but I know someone who breeds them and I can ask him if he thinks its looks odd.
View attachment 303382
Anyway I want a picture of his back in the light, cant really see it in the shadow.
Plant Water Liquid Green Leaf

Here's a better photo, the blue spot has grown a little I think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes all he said "was that it looked oddly blue, and that it's likely not a problem."

My guess is that its just some interesting genetic variation. In fact if the blue coloration stays like that into adulthood, I would consider that to be a positive. My friend said he is going to stop breeding milks, he said that he has a hard time selling em off as of late. Oversaturation of the market and all that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I hope that's the case! I'd also say if your friend can sell in Missouri that for the last couple of reptile shows I've been to, there's been a decent amount of milks and they always sell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts