Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay!! :D We finally got a blue jeans froglet! :D We only have one Costa Rica Blue jeans froglet from the Rich Frye line for now, but we get more when they are old enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
What a beautiful frog!! Congrats and many more where she/he came from:)

·
Registered
840 Posts
How come the blue jeans of today don't look very similar to the ones of 20 years ago? The colors aren't nearly what I remember. Also when did blue jeans get a patterned back?

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
705 Posts
How come the blue jeans of today don't look very similar to the ones of 20 years ago? The colors aren't nearly what I remember. Also when did blue jeans get a patterned back?

Best,

Chuck
I have been wondering this myself for the past few years. I remembered them as being a bright solid red with cobalt/navy blue legs.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
they are pretty variable. also we had BJs come in from both CR and Nicaragua giving us even more variations within the "morph". there is a TON of bad info and missing data for BJs. some even suspect that they are a separate Oophaga sp. (typographica). the ones i remember (the nicaraguans) also had white venters.

nice looking froglet! i think the leg just looks a little weird with the angle of the pic. looks great to me!

james

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Congrats!

Is it just me or does its right foot look a bit wonky? Maybe its just angle and coloration playing a trick though.
It looks like the bottom of his foot is pointing upward. Anyway congrats
Thanks for your concern guys, but his foot is actually fine. Just a bad shot. Here is a better one that shows his foot. When you look closely at this picture, it may have just appeared that way as the inner part of his foot is lighter blue. In any case, he's fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
he's a STUD. i've got a couple of BJs on hold for when they're ready to move away from their parents. i can't wait. i've decided they're moving into my big exo instead of the escudos like i planned before. new escudo house is in the works.

you guys have one amazing collection!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

Best,

Chuck
I have been wondering this myself for the past few years. I remembered them as being a bright solid red with cobalt/navy blue legs.

they are pretty variable. also we had BJs come in from both CR and Nicaragua giving us even more variations within the "morph". there is a TON of bad info and missing data for BJs. some even suspect that they are a separate Oophaga sp. (typographica). the ones i remember (the nicaraguans) also had white venters.

nice looking froglet! i think the leg just looks a little weird with the angle of the pic. looks great to me!

james
You're dead on James! My new pic showing his foot proves it. That is also what I've always heard about BJs too. A lot of variability in the morph.
I hope people are just commenting as I know for a fact he is of the Rich Frye line and I can prove it. I've never heard anybody question Rich about about passing off frogs, claiming they are something else.
Here is a shot that board member "visionteacher" took in 2009 of a wild BJ while in Costa Rica. It has black patterning.
Here is a thread by JuniorSabadu. Pictures taken in Costa Rica showing black speckling. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/59953-costa-rican-blue-jeans.html You can also see that some are much brighter red than others.
Phil, the pics were taken near Quepos, and the keeper said the frogs were from the jungle near the zoo.

The ones I saw in the wild, were near the Quepo's Volcano.

:)

Junior.
So it would appear that there is a lot of variability now in the wild Costa Rica Blue Jeans. Maybe 20 years ago they were only collecting the brightest ones?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
he's a STUD. i've got a couple of BJs on hold for when they're ready to move away from their parents. i can't wait. i've decided they're moving into my big exo instead of the escudos like i planned before. new escudo house is in the works.

you guys have one amazing collection!
Thanks Brett!:D

·
Registered
705 Posts
I hope people are just commenting as I know for a fact he is of the Rich Frye line and I can prove it. I've never heard anybody question Rich about about passing off frogs, claiming they are something else.
I was not doubting that it was indeed a blue jeans nor that yours is as you stated, I was just pointing out how I remember them looking back in the day. It was not meant to be taken as a smear comment at all. :) Oh and congrats on the froglet he/she is beautiful.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i would venture to guess that the difference was simply in the collection sites. as i understand it the BJs, although quite variable, have slight differences as one moves from one area to the next. so i wouldnt think that its too hard to believe that the ones from rich's line are simply representative of a slightly different population.

james

1 - 16 of 16 Posts