Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Very nice Rob! They look similar in alot of aspects, but the coloration and size is a little different. Great to see yours carrying a tadpole...are they continuing the parent duties or neglecting the tads? Thanks for sharing!

-Bill J.

G

·
The color on the blue jeans seems to lean more towards the orange side, the almirante are more of a deep red, going by the pics anyway. One noticable difference is the small black flecks on the body of my almirante and the lack of those on the blue lean. They are very similar though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The color actually varies on individual frogs both in the blue jeans and the almirante. The pix above are of two different animals. The redder one is the female and the orange is the male. The almirante also vary from very deep red to more orange. The leg color can vary as well with some having blueish legs while others are more greenish.

To answer Bill: they have raised several (probably seven or eight) and I've had the bastis raise one. Had a few spindly and the others that looked good just didn't survive long.

G

·
Arklier said:
Hmm. The coloring on the Almirante looks more washed out.
Looks more washed out?!?! The specimens I have here are some of the most intensely colored pumilo I have seen! Just because the blue isn't as blue as you would like doesn't mean it is "washed out". The almirante form are a different form from a different area (different country for that matter). I know you are bent on finding blue jeans....we all are, but until Costa Rica opens back up to having them exported, we will probably not see any more coming in from the wild. You are comparing 2 totally different forms. That would be like comparing the Darklands morph and the Nancy morph. One is solid red and the other is solid blue....does this make either of them 'more washed out'?! Compare a red bastimentos with a green bastimentos...is either of them more washed out that the other? Again the 2 are from different locales and the basis of comparison on coloration is rather absurd. Now, if you were to compare Rob's blue jeans with each other, eg; the top pic and the bottom pic, then you could say that the coloration is a bit washed out or rather faded as the frog in the top image is more vibrant in the red tone while the frog in the bottom image is more faded or 'washed out' as the red is more of an orange. But please, do not compare the coloration of 2 different forms and say one is more 'washed out'...it just doesn't make sense.

-Bill J.

G

·
rmelancon said:
The color actually varies on individual frogs both in the blue jeans and the almirante. The pix above are of two different animals. The redder one is the female and the orange is the male. The almirante also vary from very deep red to more orange. The leg color can vary as well with some having blueish legs while others are more greenish.

To answer Bill: they have raised several (probably seven or eight) and I've had the bastis raise one. Had a few spindly and the others that looked good just didn't survive long.

That's great Rob! From what I've gathered from other's breeding the blue jeans, they seem to be notorius for neglecting young and this seems to be why finding CB's is so difficult. Best of luck with them!!

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
BillJohnson said:
Arklier said:
Hmm. The coloring on the Almirante looks more washed out.
Looks more washed out?!?! The specimens I have here are some of the most intensely colored pumilo I have seen! Just because the blue isn't as blue as you would like doesn't mean it is "washed out". The almirante form are a different form from a different area (different country for that matter). I know you are bent on finding blue jeans....we all are, but until Costa Rica opens back up to having them exported, we will probably not see any more coming in from the wild. You are comparing 2 totally different forms. That would be like comparing the Darklands morph and the Nancy morph. One is solid red and the other is solid blue....does this make either of them 'more washed out'?! Compare a red bastimentos with a green bastimentos...is either of them more washed out that the other? Again the 2 are from different locales and the basis of comparison on coloration is rather absurd. Now, if you were to compare Rob's blue jeans with each other, eg; the top pic and the bottom pic, then you could say that the coloration is a bit washed out or rather faded as the frog in the top image is more vibrant in the red tone while the frog in the bottom image is more faded or 'washed out' as the red is more of an orange. But please, do not compare the coloration of 2 different forms and say one is more 'washed out'...it just doesn't make sense.

-Bill J.
I meant the bottom picture (the Almirante) looks more washed out than the other two. Perhaps it was the camera, but it's definitely lighter in tone. I'm not trying to put down peoples' frogs or anything. People like what they like. They are all nice looking frogs.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Cool, it must be the picture then. Or just the individual frog, but the rest of the shot looks washed out too. Maybe lighting or something.

G

·
It's not the picture, it's the frog. Here's a quote from Rob's second post:
The redder one is the female and the orange is the male. The almirante also vary from very deep red to more orange. The leg color can vary as well with some having blueish legs while others are more greenish.

As most of us know, pumilio seem to be lacking something in their captive diets that gives them the red pigmentation. Seems like the older they get they more the red fades. I had a pair of bri bri pumilio that were so faded that the coloration was that of a rusty orange, almost brown.

-Bill J.

G

·
Hey Bill,
This is the male of the pair you were talking about. (avatar) When we got him he was quite a bit lighter in color and more brown. We use some color enhancers when feeding , but not much. He is much more red than his mate, she has not changed in color much.

Rich

G

·
Rich,

WOW!! He sure has colored up a bit! He was a nice orange when he left my care...much more colorful than his mate. He's now taken on a beautiful color! Best of luck with him!

-Bill J.

G

·
Arklier said:
My apologies to the photographer, then.

But geez, you don't have to jump all over my butt.
Sorry if it seems I am jumping all over you. I'm just trying to clear up any misunderstandings. It seemed to me that your replies were biased against the almirante morph and after reading what Rob posted, your statements didnt really catch. Sorry again.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
87 Posts
jesus bill!

Chill man....... It's just a frog. No need to get hypercritical on someone's comparison. I agree with ark that i looks "washed out". He's not insulting the frogs, just making a comparison of color. Don't be so anal man. I know you apologized but just relax man.

G

·
If you actually read the entire thread you would see where the comparisons were misplaced. So...'chill man'.

-Bill J.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts