Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My question: can blue jeans lose red and/or fade due to stress?

Context:
Day 1: went and got two young Oophaga Typographica from a friend. Frogs are not the most colored but pretty normal still. (See picture 1)

Liquid Cloud Sky Underwater Paint

Day 2: Frog gets out of the exo terra through the wire passthrough holes (mistake I won’t make again, obviously). After a maximum of 2 hours, I find the frog looking almost dead and I put it in its tank with a good spray of distilled water.

Day 3: Frog looks fine, but color looks a little more dull.

Plant Salamander Organism Terrestrial plant Trunk

Day 5: I notice there are blue spots on its back, as if it had lost red in some places.

Leaf Insect Plant Terrestrial plant Organism

Is this discoloration concerning? Can it ever go back to a full, bright red? The frog behaves normally as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I just managed to get a really good picture:
Pollinator Arthropod Insect Organism Scaled reptile

Thank you for your answers,
Jordan

· Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Dendrobates azureus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
302 Posts
What you're seeing is most likely damage to the skin, resulting in the loss of color.

Keep an eye on the frog that those wounds don't get infected. Over time it might heal enough to become more red again, but there is a good chance that some scarring will remain.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow look at all that battle damage....def wild caught.
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. My guess is you are since I mentioned getting the frog from a friend and I detailed the stressful event.

I don’t believe you would have commented without reading

But I’ll answer anyway in case somebody skims through:
That frog was captive bred by my friend, I went to his house to get it and I even saw both the parents which were captive bred as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.