Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a couple of BJ's, I was told they are Sarapiqui and part of the EU import of '09 or '10 (whenever it happened), with my recent ad showing 1 of mine I have had multiple PM's about how mine look nothing like what others have from that same import. I was told by the guy I got them from that only a few true Sarapiqui came in with the import and most were another BJ locale. Here is my animal, both look exactly alike in appearance

Did anyone else get any that looked like this? These do look like the Tropical Experience description of what Sarapiqui's look like, most of the descriptions I am getting of orange frogs with bright blue legs seem to fit other populations. Anyone know more on the subject, I was told the "only a few true Sarapiqui's came in the shipment" came from the guy that brought them in who now resides in Europe.
Comments please!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
The "reticulated" pattern on the legs is very much unlike any blue jeans i ve ever seen,especially the site specific sarapiqui blue jeans. However they are beautiful frogs, considering who imported these frogs its likely that their locale is unknown.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
While I know I may take shit for this and actively preach against ID's based on looks th like Cristo's to me, how big are they? Im sure you know the obligate ID's far better than I do but the shape looks off to me as well.

Michael

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Hey Mark,

Unfortunately, they dont look like any BJs I saw in CR. However, the populations are pretty variable and I'm hesitant to go on phenotype alone. They almost look like the Pitti population in Panama. PM who sold them to you as I saw many when they arrived.

You can see my BJs from that import here:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me.../75552-new-cr-oophaga-pumilio-blue-jeans.html

Regarding size, mean for adults in CR is 20mm svl. Cristobal mean is 21mm svl. i know, not much of a diffrence.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'd agree with everyone else. They don't look like the CR pumilio I've seen. They look more like Cristobals too me.

Regarding size, mean for adults in CR is 20mm svl. Cristobal mean is 21mm svl. i know, not much of a diffrence.
Did you take these measurements? I haven't yet gotten CR measurements, but for Cristobal, I've found frogs to be 19.05mm based off of 40 frogs. My gut feeling is that CR pumilio are larger, but I don't have the data to support that yet (hopefully in a few weeks!).

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen a lot of Cristobal and although similar in a photo they are not in my opinion Cristobals. I may take a couple side by side today to see if the difference comes out in photos, thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
they look like SC really don't think they are BJ i got some from the 2011 import in Europe see pic below they all looked like this.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Those look like a pair of cristos that I had minus the spotting on the rear end. They were imported before the ones you see now.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mystery solved, sorry to those I doubted saying they are Cristobals as that is what they are, the 2 most expensive female Cristobals in history...the good thing is I have 3 extra females to pair them up with!!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Sorry to hear, Mark. I really hope you weren't scammed re them. Seems to be a recurring them in the hobby these days

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear, Mark. I really hope you weren't scammed re them. Seems to be a recurring them in the hobby these days
I commented to the sender how much they looked like Cristobals when he sent me a pic, I was assured they were Sarapiqui + they were also supposed to be a pair but are 2 females (luckily the one that got a little squished seems no worse for where). I am waiting to hear from the sender about recourse, he told me he is waiting to hear from the guy he got them from, we shall see.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts