Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, y'all ~
I wanted to share some pix of my blue/bronze auratus babies. They range from tadpoles to 6 months old, although these guys are bit younger. I was pleasantly surprised that they stayed still long enough for me to get some pix. I love the way their colors change as they get older. Very cool lil frogs ~

kristi

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
im curious of the tank more than the frogs :D so how much water is in there? how do you monitor tadpole feeding and all the different age groups of what you have in the water? also how wany do you have in the water? sorry for 60 questions as you can see im obviously new. and from what ive read everyone states that each egg gets its own container and all that, but i like the idea of the natural habitat you have. any info would be great, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I confess - I don't monitor the baby tank. I'm thinking that I may have around 8 or more oow, and another dozen tads floating around. I make sure that they have plenty to eat and lots of springtails. Right now, I think that land vs water is 70/30. I have a humidifier that goes off 3 times a day, so the water tends to rise until I scoop some out. The tads have plenty of places to hide and they take care of drowned flies. They seem to grow better and stronger in the 'swamp' and it works for me.

I raised Leucs this way and ended up with dozens before I traded most of them away, including the males, darn it. With the Leucs, the tads were very cannibalistic; the Auratus seem to do just fine in groups.

Thanks for asking!
kristi

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
will you shoot me a pic of the full tank? i want to give this a try when i start getting eggs;) by the way i like this ALOT

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, sure!

It's a 50g tank with a false bottom. It used to be a paludarium, but the fish required more upkeep than the frogs. There was a waterfall on the right hand side that was disconnected when the fish were removed. A larger shallow pond area remains on the right side with the land area hugging the back and left walls. The hubby built a hood for the lights and ventilation.

Here's a youngster thinking about exiting the water and another young 'un with his first belly shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you have a filter for that water? Just curious

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No filter - the water comes from the humidifier and the occasional spritzing. Honestly, I'm surprised that they thrive in what is essentially a swamp. But isn't that what they do in the wild?

Another interesting thing is that the tank isn't rank and the water doesn't go bad. I never feed the tads - they survive on the algae and dead flies and other detritus in the water.

·
Registered
575 Posts
No filter - the water comes from the humidifier and the occasional spritzing. Honestly, I'm surprised that they thrive in what is essentially a swamp. But isn't that what they do in the wild?

Another interesting thing is that the tank isn't rank and the water doesn't go bad. I never feed the tads - they survive on the algae and dead flies and other detritus in the water.
I'm really liking how you have your tadpole and growout tank. Its nice and its gotta be a lot healthier for the frogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts