Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During routine feeding, I noticed one of my R.Vanzolinii has a bloodshot mark on one of his eyes, it seems to be restricted to the lower half of the eye with no obvious clouding or swelling of the affected eye - after a fair bit of searching I cannot find any obvious causes and thus no resolutions?

He seems healthy, active and with a good appetite?

I house a 0.0.4 group (approx 5 months) in a 28 gallon vertical tank, with plenty of bromeliads, temps of 25c during the day / 21c night, humidity never drops below 80% and misting is done via a Mistking system twice per day. Feeding occurs every other day with either Wingless D.Melanogaster or D.Buzzati, dusted with Repashy ICB supplement.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If it is not an injury from something sharp in the viv, it may be what is called a petechiae, a dot-like hemorrhage or inflammation, which most often occurs in the uppermost skin layer (page 270, Poison Frogs: Biology, Species & Captive Husbandry). It can be caused by chlamydophila or other nematode infection. I'd do a fecal culture and/or skin swab to try and determine if there are any pathogens at work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts