Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little guy had been developing perfectly as far as I could tell, crawling out of the water off an on during the last 4 or 5 days, and then I found him this morning fully out of the water but ballooned up like this. :(

Here's a pic of his tad tank that I took him out of today:

It is aged tap water in a small critter keeper with an occasionally replaced indian almond leaf, java moss, duck weed, and an aquarium rock. It's kept at room temperature where my house thermostat is set up to cycle from 67 to 74. Several other tads have morphed out successfully and healthy from this same tub.

I am, as soon as this is posted, running out to the drug store for some pedialyte. The frog is currently in a ff cup with dampened paper towel lining and a less-dampened paper towel crumpled for cover.

Our only local vet does not work with (nor seemed interested in) amphibians or any exotic pets, but I will start searching for vets elsewhere in Missouri. I fear not being able to get to one at all though. :( Any advice is welcome!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Everything I am doing now is in response to reading Emergency Supportive Care thread, good resource. The only place so far I have found online (Fischer) to order ARS requires applying for an account, which I cannot do according to the representative I spoke with on the phone, without being affiliated with a scientific or educatinal company prior to ordering. Do you know of an alternative source?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I have an order placed. Ouch, overnight shipping was expensive, and it still may not make it here soon with the weekend coming up... I'll give some short pedialyte baths in the meantime.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe put him in a slightly more saline then normal solution to draw some water out?
Pedialyte does fit that description, right? I'm just worried about the lack of calcium, specially seeing that this a brand spanking new froglet that has yet to eat a dusted bug. (going to offer some springtails now, btw)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, by the way, I do have some pure powdered Calcium Carbonate on hand that I've used in making clay substrates. I have absolutely no clue whether it would be beneficial to mix some into the pedialyte until I have my hands on real ARS?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't seem at all interested in eating, but it's probably too early for that. I noticed this little tail nub it is still getting nourishment from when I put it in the Pedialyte.

Get better, fatty!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just for clarification (i didnt mean to come off sounding like an a$$)...I "liked" that for the "get better,fatty!" the way it sounded in my head made me laugh. I sincerely hope the little guy gets better ASAP!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's ok, I understand. Despite the dire straights that this frog is in, its current chubby state is quite endearing. I'm pulling for him/her!

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Oh, by the way, I do have some pure powdered Calcium Carbonate on hand that I've used in making clay substrates. I have absolutely no clue whether it would be beneficial to mix some into the pedialyte until I have my hands on real ARS?
Don't mess with the dissolved solutes unless you have a good idea with what you are doing. Calcium carbonate is hard to get to dissolve in water and you can change the pH of the solution if you aren't careful.

Ed

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
It doesn't seem at all interested in eating, but it's probably too early for that. I noticed this little tail nub it is still getting nourishment from when I put it in the Pedialyte.

Get better, fatty!
Forget about offering it food for the moment. Even if it was inclined to eat (which I highly doubt), it would be unable to due to the massive distortion caused by the retained fluids... You can see where the throat area is distended? That is going to interfere with breathing much less feeding...

Ed

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am interested in this product, but it states that it cannot be shipped to a residential address?
Just wondering why you were able to order it?
Nevermind, I found the link in the "Emergency supportive care" page from Fisher Science Education.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Just order it and see if they ship it.
I've had it shipped to me. If your concerned, ask your vet to order it for you (or see if he'll let it be delivered there).

it isn't hazerdous in any way shape or form so it shouldn't be an issue.
Ed

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks exactly the same as yesterday. I see a gasp every once in a while. Fatty's taking his second Pedialyte bath right now. The overnight delivery of ARS of course didn't make it in today since I ordered late in the day yesterday. I have an appointment with a vet tomorrow morning. The assistant on the phone said they would accept frogs, but the doctor wasn't available then for me to ask if he has experience with darts. Hopefully he can help.

I guess "Fatty" is official now. The vet wanted the name of my pet when scheduling my appointment.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
One of the things I've seen as a supportive measure in extreme cases by vets is for them to aspirate excess fluid from the abdomen. That helps reduce the stress and pressure on the frog's organs.

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, the vet had no real amphibian experience. He seemed tickled pink to have such a little animal in his office. Really nice guy, but not much help. He didn't have a scale sensitive enough to pick up on the frog's weight. The only thing he could find when searching his literature was a formula for amphibian ringer solution, which he was willing to call around to pharmacies to get the chemicals for, but when I said I had some coming in the mail, he said I was way ahead of him. I mentioned that getting a diagnosis as to the reason WHY the frog had edema, such as a bacterial or viral infection was usually necessary, but he said he wouldn't know what to look for, or how to come up with a small enough dose.

I wish that these busy doctors didn't have underlings running interference for them who are willing to take appointments for species that their doctor can't handle. :(

I'll widen the search by a few hundred miles, but I'm afraid that Fatty is going to have to get better on his own with some help from ARS (still waiting for it to arrive) or he's doomed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts