Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can I add a black light at night for my red eyed tree frogs?
its a standard bulb with black UV coating around it. more than likely it will be on a timer. thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
can I add a black light at night for my red eyed tree frogs?
its a standard bulb with black UV coating around it. more than likely it will be on a timer. thanks!
yes but.... from what I recently was told , it actually may appear "bright" to the frogs.
Since the coating is allowing long wave UV A through, and in theory frogs can see UV light, it *could* seem to them like you just left a light on them all night. And possibly bother them.

I would go with red light.
Although the looks of blue or blacklight does look better to our eyes.

You could always try and experiment.
Use one for say one week and then switch to the other for a week or so.
See if one or the other affects their nightime activities.
Don't forget to report back.
I for one would be very interested in your findings.:)

Cheers.
Todd

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I'm not sure I would be absolute in the belief that they can't see the red or blue light. A number of adult anurans (as opposed to tadpoles) have oil droplets in thier eyes that allow them to see into the red end of the spectra. There is also some evidence that at least some species can see into the blue light end as well.

Ed

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I've used the backlight for an hour and the frogs don't seem to mind it. plus it looks like its nighttime in the tank when its on. it gives it an eerie glow :)

gonna try a red bulb. see what that does for em. ill try and post pics later tonight once its dark.

:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed they don't really like the red light. I've had the blacklight on for an hour and a half with no problems. They are nice and active right now

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you have a rain chamber?that male on the females back is a sighn of amplexus do u hear calling?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I do have a rain chamber and I also hear calling. I think they're about to mate.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 male 1 female. There's also an emerald eyed tree frog. He's a male

·
Registered
430 Posts
There already been some talk regarding blacklights and scorpions since a lot of people want to use those during night time and it would seem it might not be very good for them in the long run.
black light usage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts