Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
come on... where's a shot of their chin!? haha

either way, beautiful salamanders... sometimes I wish I had the patience for water filtration. dart frogs have spoiled me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
those are so cool! I have always wanted a tank with some of those salamanders in it! how big of a tank do you need for those?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very nice! I have looked for those on a couple of field trips over the years and never did find a good spot. One of the few northeastern species I have never kept....

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm very envious... There are so many great salamander species that I can't keep in Washington and you seem to have them all. Those guys are beautiful, your lucky to have them :)

John

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Black chinned red salamander ( Pseudotriton ruber schencki)
Oh hellz yes... good luck with them and put me on the wait list. P. Ruber has pretty much been my dream project for years, got an empty 40B on the todo list and an AC unit I'm willing to modify and run year around. ;)

They should be legal for me to keep here since they aren't native, and I've seen them on kingsnake but I'm fuzzy on which states they are legal to ship out of. I don't wanna get in trouble for ordering something that the seller isn't legally able to ship from their state. Any info on that would be appreciated, because these really are a dream project :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They like to hide a lot. A ten gallon or 15 long would be fine. I just snapped some quick pictures. They are a little wiggly for me to get a good chin shot without some work.

Due to new clarifications of Pa. reptile and amphibian regulations I can keep them. Since fish and boat lists P. ruber ruber to the subspecies level as restricted it is legal for me to keep other subspecies of P. ruber. I chose the P. ruber schencki because it is easy to see the black chin.

I'll try to sex out a trio to keep for myself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I love these guys. I had P. ruber back when I was in high school down in Alabama (so many gorgeous salamander species down there!). Glad to see PA has gotten specific. I wish NJ would follow suit. Since the tiger salamander is endangered here, they banned all larval salamanders, including mudpuppies and axolotls since they don't want to be responsible for trying to tell the difference between them an juvenile tiger salamanders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They like to hide a lot. A ten gallon or 15 long would be fine. I just snapped some quick pictures. They are a little wiggly for me to get a good chin shot without some work.

Due to new clarifications of Pa. reptile and amphibian regulations I can keep them. Since fish and boat lists P. ruber ruber to the subspecies level as restricted it is legal for me to keep other subspecies of P. ruber. I chose the P. ruber schencki because it is easy to see the black chin.

I'll try to sex out a trio to keep for myself.
Mike,

P. ruber ruber is very plentiful near me. Either way, I have no interest in keeping them or other sub-species. I am, however, interested to hear that PA may have changed its regulations to list sub-species. Where is that information listed?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Kevin,
Pa has not changed the regulations. The native species list has changed. The enforcement agent has changed. The interpretation of the regulations has changed. The regs can be found at the Pa. fish and boat website. The website is hard to navigate.

I got my information from a talk the enforcement agent gave to the Lancaster County Herp Club and from correspondence with the enforcement agent.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hello Michael,

One of mine is at least 35 years old, possibly closer to 40. Good news re PA regs. A happy, healthy new year to you and yoyurs, Frank

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Frank,
They are pretty cool and simple to care for. The Pa regulation thing still has me a little antsy. It seems like much is left to the interpretation of the enforcement officer and little is spelled out. If I do a permanent setup for my black chinned it will be much like my old Hynobius set ups. I'd prefer to find Hynobius offered again and move the ruber along.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts