Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Saturday is tadpole/culture day. My girlfriend reminded me that I should check on the Leucs to see if they left a clutch in the hut. Well sure enough they did. She(girlfriend) then asked why the eggs are all white(white with black dot) and not black. I said "I do not know, but I will ask." So why are some clutches white and some clutch black? Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
When the eggs are recently laid, they sometimes looks half-and half white/black, or even white with a black spot on the top. They will darken up and turn grey-black for most species within a few days as they start to develop. If they stay white, become fuzzy/cloudy, or get deformed, they are most likely infertile or just duds.
Bryan

Reactions: rubberbandman3291

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was figuring something among those lines. This is their 26th clutch and from time to time they seem to be black or white. Again thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
In my experience with Tincs, it seems that any eggs that have white to them inevitably go bad. I was just curious if it is different with Leucs...or... does anyone else have Tinc eggs with white that eventually turn to tads???

·
Registered
638 Posts
7 out of the 8 clutches of eggs Ive got from my vittatus in the past two monthes were black and white and never developed. The clutch they layed 5 days were half black/cream white and they turned all black the next day and are starting to develop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts