Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my birthday present, a female suriname cobalt tinc from Patrick N! She looks absolutely wonderfull, but there is one thing that i am woried about. She is going to go with my to males, which are 8.5-9 months, but she is already bigger than them. I am wondering if they may have been stunted, as they went for a decent period when they were growing where they had to basically live off the ff that were reproducing in tank (my cultures all crashed for some strange reason, the my internet was down, and the all the petstores couldn't get any in) Would this be a problem if i put them all together? Is there any chance that the male will get bigger?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It's normal for the females to be a bit bigger than the males in most dart frogs. But I would still quarantine her and not put her in with them right away. What if she has parasites, or worse, what if she's sick but not showing it? Animals are very good at hiding illness, because looking sick is like sticking out a sign to predators (and darts DO have predators) that says, "I'M GOING TO BE EASY PREY! FEEL FREE TO EAT ME!".

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always made a point in quarentining all of my animals before adding in with the rest. Even when kept African cichlids i did. It's just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have plenty now, it was when they were younger. They were my first darts and i didn't realize the importance of keeping up multiple cultures.

G

·
That happened to me too!I just keep having crappy luck w/ hydei and suddenly i got up and looked at my cultures and in both of the hydei cultures the ground and walls were littered with carcases.Luckily one of my local petstores has a steady supply of pinheads so they lived off those for a while. I have had the same melangoster culture producing for like 2 months so i dk whats going on :? Luckily my new cultures have started producing, so im not in that bind anymore. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts