Dendroboard banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same connectivity issue when I first tried to get mine up and running. I reset everything I could (deleted and re-installed app, rebooted the biopod, reset my router etc etc) then sent them a sad email, and got a reply back stating they would check things out from their end, whatever that means.

That problem seems to have fixed itself though- I left it unplugged for a couple of days and plugged it back in, and magically, everything worked.

Now I have the same air pump issue- got an email from support instructing me to take apart "the black box" so I could investigate without voiding the warranty. Whatever.

Hopefully they'll actually send me parts and I can fix this pod. I'm beginning to think I should have named it Kobayashi Maru instead of Podrick Pane. Or maybe just altered it to "Pain" instead of "Pane"....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a Terra for a week before the power supply died. It took Biopod a month to ship me a new motherboard. Although these units are beautiful, I can't say I'd recommend them - as they are cheaply made and poorly supported. Hopefully this will change. As for the air pump issues - I disconnected mine when I hooked up the new motherboard. Works fine - with no crazy loud noise. Anyone who knows aquariums (another hobby of mine) knows that any running water produces aeration. Thus, the living wall aerates the water. The air pump is a waste - and really noisy. Unplugging it from the motherboard works (although getting to the motherboard isn't easy). Sounds like it's a leak hazard also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are the instruction videos that Biopod sent me to swap out the motherboard. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your Biopod is actually broken (as parts are fragile):

1. Accessing the metal box:

2. Swapping the PCB:

Kinda crazy they are asking consumers to do this level of repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did the same thing. Before I reassembled everything, I just unplugged the air pump and removed it. It seems the reasons they have the air pump is to help raise humidity. Which it actually does seem to do a pretty good job of that.

I was shocked once I got inside the control box. It is an absolute mess in there. I can't believe they are expecting users to be replacing parts. It is not a simple process of just plugging things in. There is a decent amount of disassembly just to get at the parts.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just wondering if you have any updates on the leak from the air pump. One of my aquas is leaking from what appears to be the same spot as yours. It leaks slowly (one drop about every 10 seconds) if I shut off the aeration, but leaks about one drop per second if the aeration is on.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I took everything apart and confirmed it was the air pump. There was a ton of water inside the pump when I opened it up. This seems to be the cause of the leaks on almost every Biopod I have seen so far.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got a new air pump in the mail today and replaced the old one..... It's a project. Now we'll see if it lasts, or starts to leak again.

I suspect it might be ok. In fact, it looks like there is a known problem with defective check valves... If you look at the pic that Karmapolice posted, you can see that he has one type of check valve, and if you watch Biopod's videos posted by Cameron, they show a different type. I had the same type as Karmapolice, and we both had leaks. I actually pointed it out when I emailed the Biopod team, and the reply said "Yes there are two check valve options, you unfortunately got the bad one!" My replacement parts included the same style of check valve as shown in the Biopod videos.

Hmmmm..... Maybe they should have replaced the bad option before shipping?

Oh, and also I'm pretty sure my drip wall isn't working. Which is a) fine by me because I was worried that it was going to keep everything too wet for orchids anyway, and b) probably my fault because I didn't connect something correctly when I assembled it. Although I'm not gonna take full responsibility for that because I wasn't supposed to have to assemble it in the first place (it just fell apart during shipping) and there were no instructions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think everyone's has arrived with something broken. It's unfortunate...as these things would be beautiful if they were better made.

As for the drip wall...the water comes up through one connection in the center (at the bottom). If you didn't push it in when you first installed the wall, it might not be pumping water up. There's a male connection (on the wall) that fits into a female connection (on the base). If the center-back base piece is in the right spot, you may be able to still push it back in. I ended up hot-gluing a plastic holder to the top of the Biopod to hold my wall from falling forward - as the attachment pieces were broken (seemingly a common thing).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure that literally the only thing holding the drip wall together is that water line connection.... At least in the parts jumble that I got, that was the only thing I found. So I know I connected it, or the wall wouldn't have even stayed vertical, but it seems to be leaking.

Speaking of leaking, my new air pump is flooded already. I tore it back down to check because I noticed it didn't seem to be running. Luckily I didn't flood my house this time. Once again, the problem was with the check valve, which I was able to determine after some searching.

The new part just came in a box, no instructions. I got it replaced just fine, but if there had been instructions with diagrams I might have noticed that the new check valve was facing the wrong way. Not facing the wrong way like "I put it on backwards" because there was only one way I could connect the tubing to the pump to the biopod due to the length of tubing attached. But like "they sent me a part assembled incorrectly, and if there had been instructions I might have noticed and fixed it"

The saga continues. Meanwhile my plants are unhappy, and I am no closer to frogs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure that literally the only thing holding the drip wall together is that water line connection.... At least in the parts jumble that I got, that was the only thing I found. So I know I connected it, or the wall wouldn't have even stayed vertical, but it seems to be leaking.

Speaking of leaking, my new air pump is flooded already. I tore it back down to check because I noticed it didn't seem to be running. Luckily I didn't flood my house this time. Once again, the problem was with the check valve, which I was able to determine after some searching.

The new part just came in a box, no instructions. I got it replaced just fine, but if there had been instructions with diagrams I might have noticed that the new check valve was facing the wrong way. Not facing the wrong way like "I put it on backwards" because there was only one way I could connect the tubing to the pump to the biopod due to the length of tubing attached. But like "they sent me a part assembled incorrectly, and if there had been instructions I might have noticed and fixed it"

The saga continues. Meanwhile my plants are unhappy, and I am no closer to frogs.
I wonder if I should replace the check valve on mine before I put water in it. I have some new ones here that I know they don't leak.
I finally got mine to register. Do any of you have a problem with the top sagging? Mine is sagged so bad it binds the door, had to put a wire tie on it to open it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Replacing that check valve might not be a bad idea.... Especially if you have the same kind I did. Check Ibn's Biopod Terra thread under the Parts & Construction heading for a perfect photo of the "bad kind" of check valve- it's a cylinder versus more of a disc shape like the kind shown in Biopod's videos.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The irrigation wall is hot garbage to be honest. Both of my units the pieces did not fit together tightly at all, there were huge gaps in-between each level. This was due to the pieces being formed incorrectly. They need to do something about the molds they are using to form these pieces, because they are not working. I had to use silicone to fill these gaps and keep the water from just running out the back of the wall.

I also used silicone to attach my wall to the back glass on both my units. The little plastic clips at the top are not capable of holding it up. Bad design. I can't believe this design made it through testing. Although, to be fair, I'm starting to wonder if there was any testing done at all.

The living wall also seems to make everything too wet. The water drips off the moss in the background and goes all over. To try and combat this I have a layer of gravel surrounding the base of the wall. This extends about an inch all around the base before there is any ABG mix. My hope is this gravel layer will allow the water to drain straight back into the false bottom faster, without soaking the ABG mix. We will see...

·
Registered
104 Posts
My living wall was messy too. It was drowning my orchids and spag moss bits were everywhere.

I put tree fern panels against the living wall. The panels absorb the water from the wall and the orchids are doing better now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My living wall stays wet...but is doing very well. The moss has spread (it's almost all green now), and pokadot plants are thriving in the wall (they are all well rooted now). The sphagnum never gets dry - but the living stuff is doing well. This is 1 month in.

Note: You can see the plastic piece I've glued on at the top stop the wall from falling forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Found my leak today. It's the check valve is letting water pass through and down into the air pump. I've ordered a new check valve (two actually) from Amazon for about $3 each. I'm also going to add a little extra tubing so I can loop it up so gravity doesn't pull water down into the air pump. Tubing alone would probably work, but I feel like being caution. The other three units are not leaking at all, but I think I'll do the same thing for them as a precaution. Overall I'd say it's a very easy and cheap fix. I did have to use a lighter (as the video said earlier) to get the tube going to the check valve to pull off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After all the talk of leaks, I have put a water sensor under my unit. Sad we have to do this.

We are essentially the customer service dept. I think the company is sunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update time!

Took some time out today to disassemble my faulty Biopod and take some photos. In doing so I have located the cause of my "leak"...

The air pump!

Removed and took apart the pump, and sure enough the rubber diaphragm had water inside. When I worked the pump by hand more water came out of the tubing leading to the pump. This is a complete design flaw. It is only a matter of time before this happens to EVERY Biopod. The cheap check valve used will fail sooner or later on every unit, and this will be the result.

I will give more updates as I continue to look at things. In the meantime here are some photos I took showing the components and the water in the rubber diaphragm and the inside of the air pump.

Great information. I just had the same issue. I cleaned my Aqua, and decided to completely re-landscape the unit. As I was filling it with water, I began to see water all over the table and it appeared as if it was literally running through the motherboard. I could not find the leak. I decided to open the valves, drain the water, and completely disassemble the unit(probably not the best decision). I was ready to put the motherboard in rice, but it powered up even after it was removed. I still could not find the leak, so I started searching and found YOU. To nobody's surprise, the airpump is filled with water.

A couple of questions:
1. How did you resolve the issue?
2. Does anyone know how to replace the compression fittings and the tubing on the unit?
3. I cannot wait for parts from Biopod(been there before- not good), any ideas?
4. Lastly, I have lost a couple of clips on the units plastic ventilated cover, replacement options?

Thank you,

Cj16

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great information. I just had the same issue. I cleaned my Aqua, and decided to completely re-landscape the unit. As I was filling it with water, I began to see water all over the table and it appeared as if it was literally running through the motherboard. I could not find the leak. I decided to open the valves, drain the water, and completely disassemble the unit(probably not the best decision). I was ready to put the motherboard in rice, but it powered up even after it was removed. I still could not find the leak, so I started searching and found YOU. To nobody's surprise, the airpump is filled with water.

A couple of questions:
1. How did you resolve the issue?
2. Does anyone know how to replace the compression fittings and the tubing on the unit?
3. I cannot wait for parts from Biopod(been there before- not good), any ideas?
4. Lastly, I have lost a couple of clips on the units plastic ventilated cover, replacement options?

Thank you,

Cj16
Hey Folks, just got a pristine bio pod that was never really set up, so it's like new. After I bought it, I discovered they'd gone out of business! - Thought my purchase was a dud, then I was shocked to get a response from Biopod which is now Matsan after only a few days. I've upgraded the firmware and got the app synced with the Biopod.

Same leak: I filled the water section to check for leaks and had the same experience with the air pump tube. It was leaking and I wrapped it with silicone tape which stopped the leak, but now it's coming from underneath right where the air pump is, so it must be the same issue. My plan is to cut the air tube and attach a external pump above the waterline.

Update: New pump attached externally.

Now that it's not leaking, I'm trying to set it up for real. My app sees the Biopod and the scaled back UI shows custom or automatic options. I try and make a change, it say's it's updated, but nothing happens. The light came on a few days ago and it seems like it was more connected, but since I layed the biopod on it's side on the bed (to mop up the water from the leak), the LED lights don't seem to want to come on. The irrigation seems to be coming on and the fan, but not the light.

I'll update you when I know more. I'm surprised I've gotten this far. Matsan's support has been excellent. After I knew biopod went out of business, I thought I'd have to rig it up with separate pumps etc, which still might happen. Anyone seen a macgyvered Biopod with external pumps etc?

Cheers,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, I macgyvered mine and I have much better control. I let the Biopod control the lights, heat, and sprayers.

Reactions: JamieO
21 - 39 of 39 Posts