Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bit of feedback here as I wrap up the hardscape on this upgraded leucomelas tank. I've posted their current tank (18x24) before around here, but I have gotten increasingly frustrated with the limitations of smaller tanks and with a tadpole growing out at the moment I wanted to go ahead and start working on a much larger tank where I can keep a bit larger group.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions on optimizing this layout for leucomelas? My current pair are very avid climbers so I tried to give them lots of opportunities to do that with this setup. Two pieces are foamed to the polystyrene background, while the three in the foreground are 1) drilled 2) superglued and 3) foamed to a piece of slate.

Thanks much for any insights! Will update as this moves along.

Front view:

Wood Trunk Artifact Art Terrestrial plant

Side view

Wood Art Artifact Metal Visual arts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have not had good luck trying what you are thinking. There are only a few tree species like black locus or osage orange that will last any reasonable amount of time under frog tank conditions.

The tropical wood or cork bark are the ways to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve used similar wood in aquariums to good effect — I’d think it’s break down even faster in water, no?

The plan is to have this set up for a while before anyone moves in, so I’ll be able to evaluate for several months.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I’ve used similar wood in aquariums to good effect — I’d think it’s break down even faster in water, no?

The plan is to have this set up for a while before anyone moves in, so I’ll be able to evaluate for several months.
Humidity plus oxygen have a different effect than being submerged in water :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Preliminary planting is done! Going to take a while for this to grow in but excited to see how it all goes.

Disregard the purple light — using an old grow light I had lying around until my spectral designs fixture comes in.

Purple Organism Terrestrial plant Art Violet

A new fave: philodendron verrucosum 'mini' ...

Plant Leaf Petal Organism Houseplant

...and pleurothallis acestrophylla!

Plant Flower Purple Vegetation Terrestrial plant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts