Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tree female of pumilio isla popa and the next saturday i will going to the deutch frog day, do i have to buy one or two male for my female?
Regards

·
Registered
253 Posts
As of this moment the current belief is that only one male should be kept in an enclosure at a time.

How old are the frogs you have now? Are you sure they're mature enough for any possible males to have started calling? Are you creating conditions to encourage any possible males to start calling? How big is the vivarium you have them in now?

Regardles, if you go to the show take some pics for us! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I keep my popa in a group, probably 3,3 but I'm not quite sure about the sexe of some animals. Everything is going well, but I will seperate them in the future to get more breeding successes. I have breeding successes in this current state!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would recommend a 1.2 or even better a 1.1 for that viv (did a conversion in inches was 17x17x19) ish, IMO with pums 2 males is a bad idea.
I have a trio 1.2 of BJ in an 18X18X36 inch viv.

-Beth

·
Registered
253 Posts
I keep my popa in a group, probably 3,3 but I'm not quite sure about the sexe of some animals. Everything is going well, but I will seperate them in the future to get more breeding successes. I have breeding successes in this current state!
That's very interesting! I have a lot of questions for you. How big is their enclosure? Is there any aggression between the males? Do all the males call? Are the tadpoles deposited in bromeliads or in group pools?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That's very interesting! I have a lot of questions for you. How big is their enclosure? Is there any aggression between the males? Do all the males call? Are the tadpoles deposited in bromeliads or in group pools?
I would assume that a viv of 55 gallons would be a minimal for this group... Also considering the obligate egg feeding nature, I would doubt a communal deposit. I am almost positive there is constant "pressure" from one male on another, and that visual barriers and size of enclosure have been very instrumental in the success of this group.

JBear

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're coming over the next time to The Netherlands, let me know. I might have a F1 male then for you. Got 3 offspring at the moment from Farmbred Popa green.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts