Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a tank for sale, but it has a big crack in the back glass that goes from the bottom left corner to the top middle. But... it's huge. A 240 gallon for $200. I could probably silicon the crack up and it wouldn't be noticable behind the background. Would this be a good deal?

G

·
Great find! If it were mine to repair I would silicone the crack and then sandwich it with a piece of glass on the front and back with silicone.

G

·
i agree with Scott on this one...200 bucks for an aquarium with a huge crack?! I'd pay no more than 50 dollars for that.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have to agree with Bill on the price. Way to much for a busted tank, even one that size.

If you do buy it and are capable, I would just replace the cracked panel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i bought a 125 gallon tank witha a crack for 5 dollars,
the price of a new piece of glass was about 120,
i never replaced it, bc i'm not gonna fill it with water i figure it would be alright, i split the tank into 3 40 gallon tanks, works pretty good for me!
it was 5 bucks for tank and stand...
i would defn try to talk them down signifantly, for sure, the glass pobably will cost you around 170 to replace

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you have no intentions of filling the tank with water the glass would not need to be as thick. And you should deffinatly be able to find the glass a lot cheaper then some of the prices quoted here.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Lance said:
Great find! If it were mine to repair I would silicone the crack and then sandwich it with a piece of glass on the front and back with silicone.
I agree with Lance, I would just use one pane of single thickness glass smeared with silicone to cover the crack, then cover that with your background (Lowe's sells it pretty cheap). If you're not holding much water, and the crack will be in the back, there is no need to replace the whole glass. And yes, I would try to talk them down . . . that could be a SWEET tank. :p

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, they have a van, actually. And a truck. Either one will do, really.

Anyone have any tips on moving an aquarium of this size?

·
Registered
313 Posts
sweet score! my 125 gallon tank was pretty heavy and tough to move around, enlisting lots of help is adviseable! it will take at least 2 strong people to move it! make sure it will fit in the back of your truck before you go get it! i'm jealous, too bad it wasn't east coast, too bad i have no space for it...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grr. Turns out the seller miscalculated the volume on the tank. It's not a 250G, it's a 180G. Oh well. Still not bad for the price.

·
Registered
313 Posts
yea i'd say tell hime to take off 25 bucks!
or he's getting bad feedback, there are tons of websites that have
volume calculators which give you the correct volume, he should have used one of them, 180 is still pretty big... what where the dimensions?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts