Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to set up a vivarium for some poison darts. Not sure what kind i want but i do know i would like to have a group, maybie a few different colors would be nice. I was looking at a 75gal-150gal tank setup, not sure what yet because a prices. I am going to have a terra-lite base substrate layer with a coco-bedding/fern fiber upper layer for plants with a small pond like thing to one side about a ft long. I have always read about the frogs being aggresive over territory, will this size setup help? I guess i just like things big but would like to have a dozen frogs or so when all set up but planning on getting 2 to start in about a month if i can get everything ready by then. Any suggestions on this size tank or should i just set up like any other size tank?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For your first tank you will want to start with something smaller like a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon. I always suggest leucs as a beginner frog, but any of the tincs and auratus make good beginner frogs too. I started with leucs and they are still some of my favorite frogs. You will also want to start culturing fruitflies before you get the frogs so you have time to get used to it,the more you have the better. I would also look into getting springtails, and rice flour beetles as backup food sources, their is a good food faq in the food section read through that. For a frog source I would suggest sean stewart at http://www.herpetologic.net or patrick nabors at http://www.saurian.net.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid question

First i have been put back to next spring instead of this fall to get these frogs. My stupid question is about food, i was going to get fruit flys and springtails. I have read up on both and seems that springtails are very simple and not too difficult. The fruit fly caresheets that i have looked through are all very helpfull on the breeding of them but the all just say keep breeding and breeding and breeding, they never say what to do with the extra ones that you dont need to breed. Do i just put all of those in my tank or should i get a separate container for them? And also i am just thinking about getting my big tank still but maybie put a smaller tank elsewhere or even inside the big one and start there and if i do good then let then into the big one. I dont really need different kinds of frogs but everyone around me is kinda saying they want this kind and that kind and those blue ones and that red one. I would just like 2 to start and that is all a would have for at least a few months.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just keep making more cultures with you extra flies, and leave them in the cultures until you need to feed them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you want a really nice terrarium take a look at the E series lizard lounge from oceanic. beatiful tank. 70 gal, tinted on three sides, drainage plug on back and vented. you also get little caps for the vents to control humidity. if you want this big of frog tank though you will need some experience with frogs and have to keep a close eye on all the inhabitants. you might want to set up a smaller tank if its your first time to make sure you are able to care for them properly. if you want to go natural as far as substrate goes i used a container for my waterfall and put an inch of sand, coal, cocofiber(stuff that expands from brick) and sphagnum moss then live moss and planted the plants. if you mix frogs only put like 2 species in the tank and you have to destroy eggs or keep the mutts that are produced. also be careful not to have two females of tinc or azureus group as they can fight. i bought my oceanic for $256 and it has been the best money spent on an aquarium if you wan to see pics i have some posted in the members tank section
lata and hope this helps.
k2bordr

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I happen to have one of them posted for sale in the classifieds...I don't like the tint, and since it was special order(I didn't know about the tint) I can't return it,

·
Registered
87 Posts
actually i figured that the tint would be beneficial to the frogs. keeps em from searching the glass ive noticed. but if you dont like it thats all i can say. i know someone who might be interested if you havn't already sold it. how much will you take for it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Herfi,

Send me a PM if you want to get in touch.
Olathe is only about 10-20 mins from me. There is a small group of us around the Lawrence area. I would be more than happy to give you a tour of my frogs, and I am sure my buddy would too.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I'm located in Salina, Kansas. About 2 hours form Lawrence. There's no froggers here, except me.

Ben, I'd like to see your collection sometime as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts