Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used paypal with no issues even though I have heard about them. Well this time it happened to me and I'm pissed. I let a big chunk of change sit in my paypal account for a lil over a week cause of some purchases Im making. Well I get on today and Im missing $320 dollars!!!! I called paypal, my bank trying to figure where it went. Come to find out one of the guys who bought from me, bank decided to cancel payment on his purchase and I lost my money. Paypal said there is nothing they can do and I already shipped this guys frogs to him. His bank statement for now shows payment too. Paypal and my bank advised me to open a second checking account and Imediatly transfer the money to that account that way the bank still has to pay the money and cant get it back. If you asked me that is [email protected]%ked up!!!! Wanted to pass this along to everyone before it happens to you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sucks. Sorry...thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
797 Posts
i've lost money in my Paypal funds too..... that shit sucks.... i only lost 125 though....not quite as bad but still moneys money.... :(

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
There are people who use this method to scam items from people.. or they suffer buyer's remorse..

Basically it is the reverse of the get the payment never ship scam.

Ed

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow! I had some issues with paypal a bit back but luckily I didn't lose any money. I hope you get it straightened out and thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i currently run a credit card processing business and unfortunately this is a common occurrence. None the less you are supposed to be notified of the intent to cancel the transaction and they are supposed to give you a time frame to comply as to why the customer should not get their money back. These so called chargebacks are abused and unfortunately paypal sucks and handling them... and don't get me started on AMEX..

is it someone in dendroboard?if so..they should get black listed:mad:

i think checks or money orders are better.. plus you don't pay the high percentage fee

·
Banned
161 Posts
I have used paypal with no issues even though I have heard about them. Well this time it happened to me and I'm pissed. I let a big chunk of change sit in my paypal account for a lil over a week cause of some purchases Im making. Well I get on today and Im missing $320 dollars!!!! I called paypal, my bank trying to figure where it went. Come to find out one of the guys who bought from me, bank decided to cancel payment on his purchase and I lost my money. Paypal said there is nothing they can do and I already shipped this guys frogs to him. His bank statement for now shows payment too. Paypal and my bank advised me to open a second checking account and Imediatly transfer the money to that account that way the bank still has to pay the money and cant get it back. If you asked me that is [email protected]%ked up!!!! Wanted to pass this along to everyone before it happens to you.
Dude, I know exactly what you mean and I sympathize. Paypal is a SCAM!! I recently was the victim of a buyer chargeback scam (I shipped the item to the buyer, he was happy, gave me rave reviews about the item-then a month or so later out of nowhere there's a credit card chargeback.) Paypal does NOT protect the seller anywhere near enough, if a buyer files a charge back they get to keep your item and paypal expects you to pay them the cost that was charged back (because the CC company takes it from them). It's ridiculous honestly.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Same thing happened to me (by mistake) when an ex-spouse decided that she didn't approve of the purchase. Anyway, it worked out and the person was awesome in sending funds via money order. However, it made me very, very wary of using paypal (over a week after payment, when frogs were shipped, payment disappeared since the person contested) for anything other than payments to and from folks I know personally. In the future, I think I will require either a check or money order from folks that I don't know.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sorry to hear that Chris.

I love paypal for now, since I've never had this happen yet. I always try to send the funds to my bank asap though.

Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Doesn't matter George. That is what I did and they still took the funds. I ended up with a significant paypal debt, which was crazy. If the person hadn't sent me a MO instead I would have had zero recourse through paypal.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Wow that sux, hopefully the person will be cool about it and offer to at least pay you over time in installments or something. If they expect you to eat that money while they enjoy their new frogs that is BS. Maybe if they won't do that they'll ship them back? You may have to pay shipping to get them to do it, but that is better then being out 300+ AND frogs.

On a side note the reverse almost happened to me, well did happen with my first order from one of the popular vendors in the hobby but we fixed it. I accidentally used that card at the store the next day and there weren't enough funds to cover the purchase so I immediately called and told them and gave them new payment info to run, but when it didn't go through and they ran the charge again they didn't use the new payment info I gave them and over-drafted my unemployment credit card by like $70. I was a little scared the state would be like why the hell are you buying plants on that card!!!! ;)

They shipped the order though and I thought everything was fine but I didn't check the card for awhile and the money actually got refunded back to me and the new payment info still wasn't ran so I basically had the plants for free. Since I got the plants and didn't hear from them I thought everything was fixed but then they called and were like where the heck is the money. So I gave them the payment info again and we finally got it worked out. It was big hassle for both parties. I screwed up using the wrong card and they messed up not running the new payment info I gave them. I think they were afraid I was trying to do to them what happened with you and that guy at first but they were cool and hopefully the fact that I immediately tried to give them new payment info twice when I found out there was a problem proved I wasn't "That guy" ;) Plants are good, and would definitely order again...if they aren't scared of me now ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
If this person is a DB member are you aloud to leave negative feedback on their profile so anyone looking will know? I would not want to be this persons next victim!

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Chris,

Good thread / warning.

See if you can get a mod to change the title to "Paypal Beware", that will make it much more searchable.

More importantly....

If this person is indeed a DB or other hobby community member OR if we are even likely to come acrosss him/her....please leave Neg Feedback her on iTrader and post a thread over on DFz.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I know you aren't supposed to give feedback here. But maybe you could PM those who are interested this persons name so we can beware. I for one would like to know who it is. Would this still be breaking the rules?
Doug

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
I have talked to the guy and has offered to pay me back, so we will see. I dont know if he is on here yet or not as he is in the fish hobby but will be glad to post his username if I find him on here and if he doesnt pay me back. He is a new person to this hobby - message me for more info if you'd like.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
You can give feedback via the iTrader system - just give them a negative rating, and sum up what happened in the comments. That way, it will be visible to everyone.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If this person is a DB member are you aloud to leave negative feedback on their profile so anyone looking will know? I would not want to be this persons next victim!
You can give feedback via the iTrader system - just give them a negative rating, and sum up what happened in the comments. That way, it will be visible to everyone.
I think people who get scammed this way owe it to the hobby to name names so please do use the feedback system to note this. I have been accepting large numbers of payments through paypal since 2001 and in my experience Paypal are little short of scum, but unfortunately they are a necessary evil.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That sucks Chris. I would not back off of this issue. I havent had an issue with Paypal in my tie with them but I may consider seting up a second empty account and just run cc through it. I dont want to risk the money.
I wouldnt leave money in there anymore.

Michael

1 - 20 of 36 Posts