Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Simple answer: Tincs...my cobalts are the most active and bold of all my frogs. They never stop moving. Great first frogs. Once you get some you'll be addicted.:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd go for tincs too on the basis of their visibility, auratus are quite shy. Having said that I still think a standard green and black auratus in good condition is one of the most beautiful frogs out there, even alongside the more exciting rarer critters.

They're about equal in terms of ease of keeping though, so if that's your concern then just flip a coin.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I wouldn't say either... Both have their pros and cons. Go with what you want, and I can guarantee you'll like whichever you choose.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I`d go with Tincs. My first frogs were actually Leucs. and Auratus. I was totally frustrated with the Auratus because I never saw them and my Leucs. would just sit there staring at me through the glass.
Don`t get me wrong, Auratus are awesome frogs and I know many people here who have great success with them. Some of them are just not as bold as others.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.

John

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you want frogs for visability and display, go with the Tincs. They come in color combinations that many no other species can offer. My favorites are the Matechos.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I started with terribilis and then went to tincs . they have both done well & even given me the gift of tadples ! :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree with all of these answers concerning Tincs. All mine are much more bolder than my Auratus. When Auratus are on the shy side, they just don't want you to see them! Beautiful frogs though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When it comes to someone getting their very first frog I think its best to get the boldest frog you can. When you have frogs for the first time and you want to show them off its always fun to have frogs that are bouncing around and performing for you. Nothing more embarrassing than showing your non frog friends your tank and no one can find the frogs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would say Tincs. as well. My first frogs were blue and black Auratus and they were never out. I got a pair of Cobalt Tincs. they are out all the time and have to be my favorite.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Go with tincs!! I love my tincs, I have a few different morphs of tincs. Tincs come in almost every color and pattern you can think of, so you have a large variety to choose from. They are also some of the boldest dart frogs you will see. They will never hop away from you. When I was photographing one of my azureus one day I had the camera probably about an inch away from him, and he didn't budge. I got the best picture I had ever taken. Although auratus come in quite different patterns and colors, they are WAY more shy than tincs. As said before, both frogs are good, tincs are better (IMO).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well Tincs are paired frog and Auratus are group frogs. I'd say more like Leucs or Galacs being the bolder group frog. As a bold pair for beginner I also say Tincs. Remember Tincs you need to watch for aggression if you have more than 1 female.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am new to the hobby as well and I had the same question when I first got frogs as well. I ended up getting some Azereus (which are tincs to my knowledge) and they were extremely bold and only really hid when the cats would stare into the cage.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Both are great starter frogs. My auratus are actually pretty bold, I know many people say they are shy, but I think it depends on the environment, morph, and individual frog. Tincs are great frogs as well, and there are many color morphs to choose from. The only problem with tincs is the aggression. As mentioned before, the tincs do best in pairs because they can be very aggressive if kept with the same sex, especially females. Just watch out for competition as they mature or buy an already sexed pair to avoid this.
Bryan

·
Registered
161 Posts
The first frogs I got were Orange Galacts. They are a great frog but mine are a little shy. Next I purchased some Tincs and they are as bold as can be, they are out all the time. Next up was a group of Vents. I see them the least but I spend a ton of time looking around the tank for them and when I find them hanging out in a Brom its a treat.

Get the frogs you really want but make sure you take into account the personality of the frogs as well.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts