Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried adding a betta to a pond area? I'm working on a 75 gallon and will have a significant pond area where I want to add 4-5 white clouds and maybe a Betta if it would work. So has anyone tried this? Any potential problems?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you were thinking about any species of frogs which cares for their tads, and it decides to trasport the tads to the water, the beta would finish them off before you even knew they were there....

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have a beta fish in my viv...No problems at all. He is huge from the fruitflies and other treats he gets, never tried to attack my Mantella I dont see how he could as he doesnt realy sit in the water, he willjust hop through it once in a while. Even if he did try to attack the mantella he could always jump out of the water, they are relatively smart animals.

Ryan

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking about either housing mints or galacs (or both, a whole new discussion) so I don't think there would be any problem with the betta eating the eggs. I'm actually going to have a homemade filtration method so hopefully it will be enough for the white clouds. As far as bettas go they are only territorial to other male bettas or something with similar fins such as a guppy or other gourami. I just wonder what the frogs would think of em. Does anybody know of any other fish that are native to south america that would sorta share water with darts (atleast in the same region)? Cardinals maybe? I know that's broad but any ideas?

G

·
Ya I belive neon tetras are a good choice (rathe I hope cuz that its what I plan on putting in my up coming paludarium). Alot of people seem to have them in their water sections and they add a new color to the tank.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I believe a betta would be a threat to any transported tadpoles like mentioned above. That would suck, get dropped off by dad just to become some fishes lunch. I think you would be better off going with tetras, maybe guppies, or even bottom suckers like cory cats, and similar fish. It all depends on the depth, and size of pond area.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
sirfugu said:
Does anybody know of any other fish that are native to south america that would sorta share water with darts (atleast in the same region)? Cardinals maybe? I know that's broad but any ideas?
That's kind of a trick question. The reason darts and other tropical frogs have evolved these advanced parental care behaviors that allow them to lay eggs on land and transport tads to small bodies of water is so they can avoid predation from fish as in the aforementioned tadpole threat. So on the one hand there are many species of fish that share the general range with darts but in general, the darts stay away from them. One species that is widespread through Central and South America that could also tolerate stagnant water like a betta is the common mosquito fish (Gambusia affina) but they aren't as colorful as a betta of course.

Other than the tadpole deal, I don't see how a betta in the waters below could really threaten the dart frogs. However, I would be curious to see these amazing bettas that could be territorial and aggressive toward frogs that outweigh them and rarely enter the water anyway. I guess that's why they call them fighting fish!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Bettas are quite territorial to their own species and any other fish with long flowing fins and bright colors. They can whip their tails with great force and ram the opponent. I don't think this would really apply to a tad, because they don't have any of these attributes.

A betta eating a tad? Highly unlikely...Bettas are surface feeders due to their upturned mouth. They basically feed solely on stuff floating on the surface. The other reason the tad should be safe is that they have extremely tiny mouths...betta food is very small so that it can fit into their mouths, much much smaller than any tad.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I feed my beta mosquito larvae that are not floating, and he chases them and munches them up. Just personal experience says they dont only eat surface food, although he is very good at eating ff's. Also if you are looking for a south american fish look into killies, i am sure you'll find a south american species that they specs of your setup will beable to care for. I dont have any killies yet, but plan on it soon, I think homer knows quite a bit on them if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can't help but say the only beta I've ever seen whip its tail has been an animated cartoon, and I have kept several betas in my time.

The attack is done entirely with the mouth... in fact betta fins tear very easily on any rough or sharp surfaces... so using the fins as a weapon would cause more harm than good.

There are some fish hobbiests who are obsessed with betas, and some of their advanced setups have useful implications to our tadpole systems, imho. But I think there's been a lot of myth and misinformation in this thread based on incorrect but common cultural perceptions of this fish... something we all hate when it is done to our frogs. I get the impression that many are posting as fact what they have heard from second hand sources, but have never kept the fish. Again, we hate when people come and do that about our frogs.

All of that said, I see no conflict between beta and frog... and only a slight risk between beta and tadpole.

Josh

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
JoshKaptur said:
But I think there's been a lot of myth and misinformation in this thread based on incorrect but common cultural perceptions of this fish...
I agree Josh, that's what I was trying to get at in a sarcastic manner. The idea of a small aquatic fish posing a threat to a terrestrial frog cracked me up.

All of that said, I see no conflict between beta and frog... and only a slight risk between beta and tadpole.

Josh
I don't agree with this though. I don't think a newly hatched and transported tad would last 5 minutes with a betta.... unless those fish are REALLY dumb. Now a larger tad is an entirely different story.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I might be reeeeeally overestimating the intelligence of a frog here, but is it at all possible that you could provide them with another drop-off site that the betta couldn't get to, and they'd put it there instead because the betta was in the other place? Or maybe you could just make another site that the frogs would like better and simply choose to drop off there? :) Then everybody's happy. In a perfect world at least, lol....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Angieownsbatman said:
I might be reeeeeally overestimating the intelligence of a frog here, but is it at all possible that you could provide them with another drop-off site that the betta couldn't get to, and they'd put it there instead because the betta was in the other place? Or maybe you could just make another site that the frogs would like better and simply choose to drop off there? :) Then everybody's happy. In a perfect world at least, lol....
I don't see why not. I doubt the solution would be 100% so sometimes the tads might get dropped off in the prefered pool and sometimes they would be betta food. I don't see a big problem with losing a few tads to a betta so long as the tads are from a species well established in the hobby.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.