Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has used beta carotene supplement to color up their frogs? I keep trying your suggestions for paprika, and the best i can do is gut load larva with lots of V8 tropical splash juice and paprika (the maggots turn bright orange yellow!)

I've tried paprika, but once again, it doesn't stick. I've tried mortar and pestle, doesn't really grind it. I've misted the flies, and have gotten it to stick, but it ends up shake and baking the flies to where they die of suffocation from extra crispy coating. Beta cartone, the tablets, when crushed, will make a fine powder. While beta carotene is safe when used responsibly, the fillers make me a bit cautious.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
i was able to get paprika to stick just by grinding it with a spood against the back of a plate. I cant imagine that a motar and pestle wouldnt work better then that.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, are you using the McCormick kind? That's what I've got. Perhaps I don't have enough patience. :roll:

At my grocery store, you can find Hungarian paprika, which I believe is the same as Spanish paprika.

Today I'm going to the herbal store and buy some lycopene (if I can find it) and some beta carotene supplement.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, it turns out lycopene and beta carotene (at least at my health food store) only comes in soft gel caps. :x Whatever happened to those days when things were in tablets that you could crush into powder? :?:

Back to feeding out larva...oh well, my tricolors like them even over the hydei. :roll: Man, I gotta try that technique ben mentioned about vacation feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts