Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to keep the dust on the flies longer, as you can dust the flies and after 5 mins they have cleaned themselves off again.
thanks
hamo

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
My guess on this is that much more gets on then than you realize. So I think you will be fine. Some people do every day ,and others do some thing different.

hamo said:
is there any way to keep the dust on the flies longer, as you can dust the flies and after 5 mins they have cleaned themselves off again.
thanks
hamo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it possible for the frogs to get too many vitamins and calcium? would dusting every day hurt them at all or is it the more the better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a small shaker that I got in the kitchen section of a hardware store. It is the kind you could use for powdered sugar or flour. I will put the powder mix in there and then using a wide top funnel will add the fruitflies. The funnel catches them all and they can't escape this way. Then I put the top on the shaker, it is a screw on top with a removable screen. I really swish them around and then using the same funnel placed on a deli cup I will "shake" off all the excess powder. This really cuts down on powder waste. Then, when I take the top off they are completely coated and can't even climb up out of the cup. The cup has a handle on it and it makes it very easy to pour out the fruitflies where I want them to go. They stay really well coated for quite a while after and I get next to no excess powder in the tank.
This photo was taken a little while after I had put the fruitflies in the tank and they are still coated nicely.
Hope this helps.
Rhonda

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thats a really nice picture! I dust once a week with calcium when I get crickets, sometimes I get crickets more than once a week I will dust those. If I don't get any crickets I do some fruit flies but I have never dusted everyday, I may begin when my auratus finally start breeding.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would also recommend dusting with a vitamin powder such as Dendrocare or Herptivite well before your frogs start to breed. You will want to give them the best nutrition as they start to grow, this will ensure proper developement as well as the development of the hopefully future tadpoles. Almost everyone agrees that spindly leg is caused or is at least more problematic because of poor nutrition of the ADULTS not the tads.

I have not breed my frogs (cobalt tincs) yet, they are young, but one of my male tincs already started calling at only 6-8 months of age where normally things take about a year. I told this to the person I bought them from and he was surprised and said that I must be feeding them well. I have to believe that this is also because of good nutrition. I dust almost every time I feed which is almost every day (had a bit of a fruit fly production problem) The tincs eat almost every fly in sight so I don't have a big problem of the frogs not eating the powder. My vents are a bit slower at eating, so I dust every time I feed those little guys.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
dusting

Hello.

Dusting is really an ambiguous subject. Ambiguous due to the lack of a standard. I don't dust everyday, but every other to every third day. My reasoning for this is due to the fact that I necropsied a frog that had calcified organs. I believe that this was due to my overuse of dusting. The frogs fecals were bloody before it died, which is usually indicative of an overdose of vitamins/minerals. Be careful because dusting every day can have its ill effects also.

Justin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts