Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm creating a 28gal bow-tank...and i definitely want to make a water feature in it. im just not sure how to go about it. what i really want is to hvae a small waterfall trickling down from one corner through a little stream and into a small pond. any insight on how to get this done? i notice that some use quick-set mortar to make a good stream channel, is this a good way to go? any help is much appreciated!
-eric

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't know if there is a "best way," as there are several ways to get good results. Kyle gave you one, and it sounds like you have seen a few others.

Below is a link to the way I put mine together. It doesn't have a stream, only a series of waterfalls that trickles into a small pond/bog that is now overrun with Cryptocoryne wendetii. I hope it helps.

http://www.frognet.org/gallery/False-Bo ... l-Assembly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Homer said:
I don't know if there is a "best way," as there are several ways to get good results. Kyle gave you one, and it sounds like you have seen a few others.

Below is a link to the way I put mine together. It doesn't have a stream, only a series of waterfalls that trickles into a small pond/bog that is now overrun with Cryptocoryne wendetii. I hope it helps.

http://www.frognet.org/gallery/False-Bo ... l-Assembly
hmmm....so is there just a little hole in your liner in the "pond" area that allows water to flow down into the resevoir, while the majority of it is closed off from the substrate? it's hard to tell how you covered up the liner from being visible...

when you all make your features....is it basically just any submergable pump that goes in the resevoir, with tubing that comes up out of the eggcrate adn then to wher eyou want the source? so basically you just hide the end of the tube so you can't see the source and it trickles where u want it to?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drakken said:
A 28 gal bowfront, hey, I had one of those. :D

Check out http://www.terra5designs.com for ideas and good supplies. They have a mortar that is safe for animals.
haha what a coindidence.....i duno im just a bit confused onto how to make it work. the questions ive asked here aren't really getting answered....keith how did u set up your falls again? it didn't even seem like u had a false bottom there was very little room between teh substrate and your eggcrate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thefish4 said:
Drakken said:

Check out http://www.terra5designs.com for ideas and good supplies. They have a mortar that is safe for animals.
haha what a coindidence.....i duno im just a bit confused onto how to make it work. the questions ive asked here aren't really getting answered....keith how did u set up your falls again? it didn't even seem like u had a false bottom there was very little room between teh substrate and your eggcrate
I used a false bottom only for a part of the tank. I hot glued the egg crate to make a box and the surroundiing area was filled with lava rock pieces (Home Depot) for additional drainage. I did this so the false bottom wouldn't be seen from the outside.

Three pieces of lace rock were arranged with the intake tube running behind the rock and under the false bottom. The rock was secured and the gaps were filled in using black pond foam. The excess was razor bladed off.

Tell me what you think you would like for a water feature. Do you want a waterfall like mine that slopes into the tank or more of a verticle water wall?

Check out my gallery for construction pics...

http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10824

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drakken said:
thefish4 said:
Drakken said:

I used a false bottom only for a part of the tank. I hot glued the egg crate to make a box and the surroundiing area was filled with lava rock pieces (Home Depot) for additional drainage. I did this so the false bottom wouldn't be seen from the outside.

Three pieces of lace rock were arranged with the intake tube running behind the rock and under the false bottom. The rock was secured and the gaps were filled in using black pond foam. The excess was razor bladed off.

Tell me what you think you would like for a water feature. Do you want a waterfall like mine that slopes into the tank or more of a verticle water wall?

Check out my gallery for construction pics...

http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10824
what i wanted to do is (obviously you know what the tank looks like) i have a piece that is like a mangrove root system for one side..and on the other side i want a waterfall that slips down and streams across the tank into a pond in the bottom right hand corner, in front of the mangrove piece. i was thinking of just buying a piece of rock like you have, having a pump under the false bottom and letting it slide down. then how to form the stream into the pond?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thefish4 said:
what i wanted to do is (obviously you know what the tank looks like) i have a piece that is like a mangrove root system for one side..and on the other side i want a waterfall that slips down and streams across the tank into a pond in the bottom right hand corner, in front of the mangrove piece. i was thinking of just buying a piece of rock like you have, having a pump under the false bottom and letting it slide down. then how to form the stream into the pond?
IMO you should keep the pump on the outside of the tank. If not then be sure it is accessable if servicing is needed but not accessable to the frogs.

If you can find a good piece of lace rock or something similar you could set it up in one corner of the tank and backfill with black foam. Use the lava rock to create a base and aquarium gravel to make the stream leading to the pond. The other land areas can be built up with medium gravel then covered with the rainforest/coco substrate.

Your other option is to buy all the supplies, a 12 pack of good beer and bring the tank back and I'll help you construct it. :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha south jersey is a bit of a drive to come back. i guess the part im missing is, if the pump is outside of the tank, then that means i have to drill holes so that the resevoir is constantly emptying and going back into the pump as a water source? that's what i don't get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've made a couple up like Patrick describes on his site.One has been running nonstop for just over 1 1/2 years without any problems.
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark Wilson said:
I've made a couple up like Patrick describes on his site.One has been running nonstop for just over 1 1/2 years without any problems.
Mark W.
what'd you use for a container to put the pump in? i assume the container is an attempt to keep the pump from getting clogged up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D I have a 46 gal bowfront and have a waterfall feature. I bought an eheim canister filter and drilled a hole in the lower rear of the tank and placed a screened off water intake line whiched connected to the canister filters intake valve and simply ran the outlet line to the tanks top and hooked it to a hooked hardpipe which runs into a series of slate pieces that looks absolutely natural. It made a very naturalistic scene that has made my frogs breed almost nonstop. This design i feltwas effective due to the filtration and astetics it offers. I haven't read of many doing it this way but it works well. If youd like pics give me a pm I took shots of all the building stages untli final completion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thefish4 said:
if the pump is outside of the tank, then that means i have to drill holes so that the resevoir is constantly emptying and going back into the pump as a water source? that's what i don't get.
I used the ZooMed 501 canister filter. The intake was built into the waterfall. There is an open elbow fitting at the end which picks up the water from the false bottom.

I have a piece of plexi-glass on top of the false bottom so the water doesn't go through at the bottom of the falls. I used the black foam to make a retaining wall and seal the plexi-glass. The water then flows down to my pond area and filters through the substrate and back into the pump.

Kinda hard to explain but I hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thanks guys i guess ill jsut give it a whilr and see if it works haha....hopefully i don't flood my room :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts