Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the best way would be to get pairs of desired frogs. Would i be better off just buying a single frog from the species i like then waiting for it to mature so i can tell its sex and then searching for the opposite sex for it? Or would i be better off buying a group of 4-5 frogs and then seperating them into pairs as they mature, then selling the ones i don't need? Only problem with the later idea is that i don't really have a tank that large to house a group of 4-5 frogs, as i would need atleast a 20g to house 4-5 frogs to maturity right?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The best way is to buy as many froglets as you can, then sell the extras as they get older.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Depending on the species some breeders sell sexed, proven breeder pairs. Check the "Sponsors" above, I know that at least Saurian.net sells breeder pairs of azureus and tinctorius.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The best way to get a pair IMHO is to buy a sexed pair of adults. If you buy a single froglet, you could have trouble finding an adult mate for it once it is fully grown. Most people don't want to sell single adults, they want to sell either sexed pairs or froglets. If you have a frog that does well in groups such as leucs or auratus it's easy. You just buy another sexed pair and put them together. This would also be true if your single frog was a male tinc or azureus. However, if your frog turns out female and you have a tinc, azureus, or other frog where females are known to be aggressive, buying a sexed pair will end you up with two females, one of which will probably require her own enclosure.

If you buy a bunch, there's a chance (which gets smaller the more you buy) that they will be all one sex. If you buy 2 froglets, the chances that they will be male and female are only 50% for each frog. So you have a 50% chance of getting a pair. If you buy 3 froglets, you have a 75% chance of getting a pair, and so on. Keep in mind that these are averages. It's perfectly possible to buy 10 froglets and have them turn out to be all males or all females.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is usually best to buy sexed pairs, but as we know that usually not possible, especially for rarer frogs, lamasi, amazonicus, pumilo, etc... So I stand by my original statement, buy as many froglets as possible, and sell the extras, it is usually fairly easy to sell adult frogs. Some people are lucy and get a pair from two froglets, and some people buy 10 frogs, and get a 9.1 ratio.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well, one idea is to look through some classified sections or trade sections. If you see a lot of an adult species being offered, you may have luck buying two. If you get a pair, great, if not, you may find it easy to match up, if it is more common. If more people did this, more frogs would be available for trade amongst each other. Larger quantity works too. I also think that it would be awesome if some people held back one plus until they are sexable for the intentions of having that one frog that someone may be looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts