Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get my first darts, Green and Black Auratus I was thinking. My goal is to have them breed successfully - then I will know I am keeping them in a suitable (attempting to achieve optimal) environment.

It seems a poor choice to get a group of say 3 frogs from the same clutch and then have them grow up and breed, brothers and sisters you know.
So my question is - is it better to get froglets from 2 different sources and mix them when they are old enough to sex, or to get frogs from one source and then trade an adult for an unrelated adult? It seems like a lot of people don't wory about it and just hope that they get males and females both when they buy froglets. Why is that? Perhaps I am missing something. What do you all do?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some vendors have frogs from 2 separate lines depending on the frog. You might look into that.

Another option is to buy 2 full grown frogs from separate vendors, from either a show in your area or by mail.

·
Registered
986 Posts
JK,

I think the reason that most people don't worry about breeding brother to sister is that you can usually breed to F10+ without any deleterious effects, for the most part. I would agree that I would want to introduce a new bloodline well before then, but I personally wouldn't be worried about that for my first group of frogs.

I do what many other people do, and ask how many generations from WC froglets are before I buy (or else how many generations from new blood). Most of the time they are F1 or F2, and that doesn't give me much reason for concern.

I hope that helps, and I wish you the best at getting into this great hobby.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Homer! That helps a LOT! :D

And thanks Tony T, but for my first darts I don't want them shipped, so I am going to pick them up at the Louisville Reptile show on Saturday.

I can't wait!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually it's the Shelbyville show - not in Louisville proper, but to the East about 30 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best way to get a pair.

I bought one frog from Black Jungle. Then bought two more from Aaron's Frog Farm, then two more from Aaron all 4 months apart. Being a newbie I didn't dust my 1st frog's food and he grew up deformed. Legs inverted and spine lopsided. If I had bought all of my frogs together they would have probably all been deformed and I wouldn't have gotten any eggs. I am on my 7th clutch now and even though the male is only 7 months old and the females are 1+ year and the eggs are coming out bad. I now know I have at least 4 healthy frogs that can breed.

Another thing I've learned is that feeding 5 frogs is harder than feeding one. I have had FF cultures crash, I have tried several recipes, and I have had heat waves kill off all my cultures. You may want to ease into it just so you don't stress out that you don't have enough food. You just can't go to a pet store and pick up food to feed darts. I have lesser wax moths, baby crickets, FF and I do field sweepings. It takes some skill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts