1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Raf's is nice because he is working well with ratios and proportions. Lots of folks add elements that just don't look natural: the sides of the water features are too steep, they try to create a full flowing river/stream within 24" of space, etc. They're trying to create massive features in miniature...and then adding plants and stones and animals that throw off the scale.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of great vivs are here on DB.
I'm also in love with Euro tanks from Terracom.tk
Nice can be found here Terraria fotoalbum
There are too many decent vivs to name only one ;)
I only wish i could understand half the stuff that was going on in these threads, they all look awesome and very helpful. i feel as though europeans have got us beat on this hobby, especially in the amount of info they have.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Raf's is nice because he is working well with ratios and proportions. Lots of folks add elements that just don't look natural: the sides of the water features are too steep, they try to create a full flowing river/stream within 24" of space, etc. They're trying to create massive features in miniature...and then adding plants and stones and animals that throw off the scale.
very good point, that is one of the things i am not satisfied with on my current build. i have a waterfall feature and a dripwall type feature and i like the way the drip wall came out 10x better because it just looks more natural. if i was to start over again i would deff want to make a more slow flowing natural "out of the background" type water feature. i am hoping that i will like it more once i get this thing planted and it grows in alittle more. my build as of now is here, http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/71417-exoterra-xl-x-tall-36x18x36-build-log.html , i have gotten alot more done but i am waiting till i finish peat mossing the background and till i can use my girls camera to take the pictures. but youll see what i mean about how the waterfall in the left doesnt look natural, it looks alot better now that i have worked on it but you will see that when an update comes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I only wish i could understand half the stuff that was going on in these threads, they all look awesome and very helpful. i feel as though europeans have got us beat on this hobby, especially in the amount of info they have.
You have to keep in mind that while people have kept "terrariums" in this country - The vivarium is a European creation (and by that I mean taking it to an entirely different level). They have been building vivariums and keeping df's for a much longer period of time that than us. Also they tend to make much larger, more elaborate enclosures - and in the US we tend to build multiple smaller scale enclosures. IMO.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
very good point, that is one of the things i am not satisfied with on my current build. i have a waterfall feature and a dripwall type feature and i like the way the drip wall came out 10x better because it just looks more natural. if i was to start over again i would deff want to make a more slow flowing natural "out of the background" type water feature. i am hoping that i will like it more once i get this thing planted and it grows in alittle more. my build as of now is here, http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/71417-exoterra-xl-x-tall-36x18x36-build-log.html , i have gotten alot more done but i am waiting till i finish peat mossing the background and till i can use my girls camera to take the pictures. but youll see what i mean about how the waterfall in the left doesnt look natural, it looks alot better now that i have worked on it but you will see that when an update comes.
A lot of it comes down to learning how to see. Just using your enclosure for an example, how many waterfalls have you seen that fit within a 36" cube? I would assume very few (based on my own personal experience). So rather than trying to translate something big into miniature...how about just going for a small patch near the base of the falls or seep? How about just an edge patch near the stream, or at the base of a fallen log? If you made a cube out of PVC in the dimensions of your enclosure and set that down in the wild...what would fit in it? What would the scale be?

These are things that help me in planning a layout.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A lot of it comes down to learning how to see. Just using your enclosure for an example, how many waterfalls have you seen that fit within a 36" cube? I would assume very few (based on my own personal experience). So rather than trying to translate something big into miniature...how about just going for a small patch near the base of the falls or seep? How about just an edge patch near the stream, or at the base of a fallen log? If you made a cube out of PVC in the dimensions of your enclosure and set that down in the wild...what would fit in it? What would the scale be?

These are things that help me in planning a layout.
yea i feel as though i did too much research on tanks and not enough on the actual environment im trying to mimic. dont get me wrong i dont think my build looks bad or anything i am just thinking i deff could have made it more natural. next time i a deff going to base my build off of a real scene found in nature instead of trying to make a tank using other peoples techniques.

·
Registered
995 Posts
next time i a deff going to base my build off of a real scene found in nature instead of trying to make a tank using other peoples techniques.

while this is a good idea [and something i'm trying right now] in reality, it's most likely [from what i've seen] LL and a rock, or a piece of wood, with maybe a terrestrial plant and a vine, which a lot of people find "unnatural" even though it looks better than an over grown jungle...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ok back to the original thread topic.....

I dont think there is any other better inspiration to be found then in the world of aquascaping. Their designs literally seem decades ahead of the vivarium world. Here is one of my all time favorites by a guy named Lin Tin Chuan. Just to give you an idea, he came in 7th lol....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok back to the original thread topic.....

I dont think there is any other better inspiration to be found then in the world of aquascaping. Their designs literally seem decades ahead of the vivarium world. Here is one of my all time favorites by a guy named Lin Tin Chuan. Just to give you an idea, he came in 7th lol....

Yea that thing is awesome, i could just see that being not filled with water but still set up as it is there and it would make a great viv.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts