Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To many, viv-building is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby. Conversely, most froggers hate to break down a viv: all that work being destroyed, time wasted, and the herculean task of getting that durn GS off the back. There are many reasons why one may have to break down a viv: sterilization, desire to try a new background technique, or getting tired of that pesky malfunctioning waterfall. Well, there comes a time in every froggers life where a tank must be taken down. Here are a few tools that I have found to be very helpful (and time saving) when you have to take down a viv...yes it will happen to you too.

Started using these things to shape GS backgrounds, but they work great for taking out bgs too. They are flexible, which is a definite plus:
4 in. Razor Scraper and Heavy-Duty Stripper Replacement Blades (5-Pack)-62901 at The Home Depot

These are the best razor blades I have used:
Extra-Heavy-Duty Knife Blades (5-Pack)-11-931 at The Home Depot

This is the "do-all" tool for removing GS, it cuts and acts as a mini pry bar, couldn't imagine taking a bg off without one:
2-7/8 in. Linoleum and Flooring Knife-10-509 at The Home Depot

Finally, you are gonna have to clean up the gigantic mess you have made. That's when one of these will come in handy:
12 Gal. 5 PHP Wet/Dry Vac-WD1270 at The Home Depot

Feel free to add to this, I'm sure there are plenty of tips left to share.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I get large plastic kitchen utensils from the dollar store. Big plastic, slatted spoon, to scoop out the substrate and a big plastic spatula to slide the clay from the background. They have long handles which makes it easier for those of us with short arms to clean a tank without climbing inside of it.

I get the ones that are one solid piece, so they can be tossed into a bucket of bleach without little crevices or hollow handles to prevent full sanitation. Plus, it's from the dollar store, so, it's ok if they break. :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
This thread is a great idea!!
If your tank doesn't have a bottom drain. Then I use a siphon hose, I just fill the hose with water, plug the ends with my fingers stick one end in a bucket and the other in the tank. It will suck up any thing that will fit!
I get the rest of the water out with a large sponge, it works great!

If nothing works than you can just light it on fire!!!:D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time, lots of it. Cleaning a tank takes up a decent amount of time when you do it right.
Hopefully using some of the tools (except the ones Teddy mentioned haha) will save a little time. I know that tearing down tanks has become much less of a chore since I started using the linoleum knife.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts