Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years and now 22 frogs, I now have eggs ! So excited ! 9 golden (p. teribilis) eggs. Disappointed in my in viv. hygrometers. What kind and where to get guns ? Thanks.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Just be aware, we can’t really advertise anything but we can still point you into the right direction. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Just be aware, we can’t really advertise anything but we can still point you into the right direction. Good luck!
Recommending products is fine.

A handheld temp/humidity meter was recommended here recently. Note that many keepers don't measure RH at all.

Reactions: FroggerFrog

·
Registered
925 Posts
After 3 years and now 22 frogs, I now have eggs !
Congrats. There really nothing like new life, the miracle of birth and all that.

So, uh - it seems (based on what the frogs are saying) that you're basically doing it right. What do you think you need an RH meter for? This is just a straight-ahead honest question, I don't keep frogs (yet??? ha ha) and am growing more curious about them.

Again, congrats. Babies are the best. Good luck getting larvae, then metamorphs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats. There really nothing like new life, the miracle of birth and all that.

So, uh - it seems (based on what the frogs are saying) that you're basically doing it right. What do you think you need an RH meter for? This is just a straight-ahead honest question, I don't keep frogs (yet??? ha ha) and am growing more curious about them.

Again, congrats. Babies are the best. Good luck getting larvae, then metamorphs.
Well, I guess to satisfy my curiosity. What really are my tanks humidity ? These little Zilla and Zoomed (I think) I know are no accurate. Thanks, really looking forward watching these amazing creatures do their thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My temp gun is just a $20 one off of Amazon.
Also agreed with the above sentiment.

I don't measure humidity in my frog viv anymore because hygrometers tend to die over time in very humid conditions. When I did, I used the cheap plastic black ones that are a thermometer and hygrometer that come in packs of 4 for ~$20 on Amazon. That way when they inevitably die I'm only out a few bucks (I have used more expensive ones too, but their lifespan isn't much better IME). I basically used them as training wheels when I was getting a feel for the parameters and once I was comfortable with it I stopped measuring humidity.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I have a little Pro Exotics one thats got some time on it. The only thing I would say from the stand point of use is I like that its small for clearance through tight passages to the entrances of hides, crevices, humidity stations (snake care) etc . The temp registered is the first surface touched.

I have seen some ppl shooting a gun at aspects through viv glass and optically the light point is dense and really penetrating but the only temp the guy is actually getting is the outside surface of the glass.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Jgragg
You need to go ahead and make some frogs very lucky.
Tried to resist saying so but the universe gave a shove.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have a little Pro Exotics one thats got some time on it.
Me too - just the IR (temp) function. I've replaced the little watch battery twice I think. But the device itself must be going on 20 years old. I bought it for field work and that's where it still gets the most use. But I've found various uses for it around the house - it's helped me focus some of my home-insulating efforts, for example - and of course it's handy as hell in the herp room too.

You need to go ahead and make some frogs very lucky.
Meh. Maybe maybe not. I've really ever only found one group of animals to hold my fascination. I've tried some swinging. A garter here, a boa there, the odd lampro or gecko or dragon. Just didn't do it for me - so, back to my same-old-same-old. I imagine, if I somehow fail to die before then, I will reach a point where discretion will force me to decide to stop working with them. I might just rather die first.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Mine is a pretty small i think first gen P.E . Temp guy. I painted a little white avoidance mark in line with the beam for my crammed, hunched over reaches.

Ironically I still want to keep your 'same old, same old' of some kind, someday, before I die. Something Perchy.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ironically I still want to keep your 'same old, same old' of some kind, someday, before I die. Something Perchy.
Perchy is generally quite tractable, from an impairment standpoint (not intoxicated, but less mobile or whatever).

Back to the OP - I'd say the best temp gun is just the one actually in your hand, getting used regularly. You don't need to allocate much time to this shopping trip - just get one and start using it.

There are many models that are sort of "pistol grip" (sans trigger guard). Personally I favor the mini jobbies that are more like a key fob - they go in a shirt pocket, for example. More handy, is all. Easier to lose in the grass or leaves I guess, outside, but...if it's in a pack it's less likely to get hauled out and used than if it's in a pocket.

If it's strictly for indoor use I guess who cares how big or awkward it is.

good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts