Dendroboard banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think the OPs question is most directly answered with Repashy Calcium plus. I know a lot of breeder rotate but its hard for me to tell if they do that because of old habit or because it cost them nothing more since they have so many frogs, or maybe they just like selling lots of supplements most of which you will throw out. What I know is I have hardly made a dent in my the amount of supplements I have in a bottle of calcium plus and it is about to go on 6 months and it will need replaced. (I have 6 frogs right now) So if you have less than 15 frogs Calcium plus will probably work fine and save you money. Based on the OPs signature 1 supplement will be good enough.

I am most curious to hear about color though and superpig. Is superpig a waste if Calcium plus has the nutrients or does it improve color?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Anyone have thoughts/comments on nekton products?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Anyone have thoughts/comments on nekton products?
I used their old color enhancer years ago, as did many other dart froggers then, but I haven't heard any in a long time. Current wisdome is repashy calcium icb, repashy superpig, and occasional repashy vit A.

I am most curious to hear about color though and superpig. Is superpig a waste if Calcium plus has the nutrients or does it improve color?
(Ingredients are usually listed by most % of total mix first).
super pig INGREDIENTS: Calendula Flower “Pot Marigold”, Capsicum Annuum Extract “Paprika” (Saponified), Tagetes Erecta Extract “Marigold” (Saponified), Pfaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Spirulina Platensis Algae, Rosa Canina Powder “RoseHips”, Curcuma Longa “Turmeric”, Canthaxanthin.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 6%, Crude Fat min. 1%, Crude Fat max. 3%, Crude Fiber max. 10%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 8%. Total Carotenoids min. 3,000 mg/lb.

VS

Calcium plus INGREDIENTS: Calcium Carbonate, Dried Kelp, Cellulose (as carrier), Brewer’s Yeast, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Spirulina Algae, Turmeric, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Natural Flavoring, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 2%, Crude Fat min. 0.2%, Crude Fat max. 0.6%, Crude Fiber max. 1%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 35%, Calcium min. 17%, Calcium max. 20%, Phosphorus min. 0.6%, Vitamin E min. 2,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D min. 20,000 IU/lb, Vitamin A min. 200,000 IU/lb. Total Carotenoids min. 500 mg/lb.

So for color you'd probably want super pig, and anecdotal reports from froggers and personal use suggest that is is better then standard supps for color.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Dave, I hope that you simply misspoke, rather than have supplements that old. If you have a bottle of Repashy Calcium ICB you might want to consider replacement. Repashy Calcium ICB was replaced by Repashy Calcium Plus something like 1.5 or 2 years ago. They are essentially the same, but if the bottle says ICB, then it's time for a fresh bottle.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Hey Dave, I hope that you simply misspoke, rather than have supplements that old. If you have a bottle of Repashy Calcium ICB you might want to consider replacement. Repashy Calcium ICB was replaced by Repashy Calcium Plus something like 1.5 or 2 years ago. They are essentially the same, but if the bottle says ICB, then it's time for a fresh bottle.
LoL... misspoke. I don't always do it every 6 months, but I'm not that bad! :) ...In fact if I don't use them by 6 months or close I'll just stop using supps till I get around to getting them again. It may not be ideal, but I think as long as you don't wait to long it is less risky then bad supps.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
LoL... misspoke. I don't always do it every 6 months, but I'm not that bad! :) ...In fact if I don't use them by 6 months or close I'll just stop using supps till I get around to getting them again. It may not be ideal, but I think as long as you don't wait to long it is less risky then bad supps.
Ok, good. I knew you had been away for a while and was afraid you picked up some old inventory somewhere.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hmmm.... maybe... There are deficiencies that can result from both actions... continual usage can result in conditional deficiencies in things like fat soluble vitamins.. while lack of vitamin usage can result in poor calcium to phosphorus ratios which as we know can result in a form of MBD... or they can end up with conditional deficiencies of trace mineral/vitamins... It's a calculated risk depending on how long it takes, but a few weeks shouldn't be an issue...

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Hmmm.... maybe... There are deficiencies that can result from both actions... continual usage can result in conditional deficiencies in things like fat soluble vitamins.. while lack of vitamin usage can result in poor calcium to phosphorus ratios which as we know can result in a form of MBD... or they can end up with conditional deficiencies of trace mineral/vitamins... It's a calculated risk depending on how long it takes, but a few weeks shouldn't be an issue...

Some comments

Ed
That's interesting Ed. Any idea on how you would better reintroduce supplements when the frogs have been on a break? or in transitioning from possibly old supps to fresher ones. Just start doing it regularly, or should you maybe ease them back into 1 day a week or 2, for a few weeks?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
That's interesting Ed. Any idea on how you would better reintroduce supplements when the frogs have been on a break? or in transitioning from possibly old supps to fresher ones. Just start doing it regularly, or should you maybe ease them back into 1 day a week or 2, for a few weeks?
Just start the new ones as soon as you get them. Trying to ease into them isn't going to help the situation as deficiencies are probably not going to get enough of the new supplements to correct it otherwise.

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
On the topic of pigment enhancing suppliments what have you guys used? I've noticed the colors in my Bastis starting to fade slightly and would love to keep the red/orange color as bright as possible.
I know there's repashy superpig and I've also heard of some people using paprika (does that actually work?)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
On the topic of pigment enhancing suppliments what have you guys used? I've noticed the colors in my Bastis starting to fade slightly and would love to keep the red/orange color as bright as possible.
I know there's repashy superpig and I've also heard of some people using paprika (does that actually work?)
Repashy SuperPig
Calendula Flower “Pot Marigold”, Capsicum Annuum Extract “Paprika” (Saponified), Tagetes Erecta Extract “Marigold” (Saponified), Pfaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Spirulina Platensis Algae, Rosa Canina Powder “RoseHips”, Curcuma Longa “Turmeric”, Canthaxanthin. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 6%, Crude Fat min. 1%, Crude Fat max. 3%, Crude Fiber max. 10%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 8%. Total Carotenoids min. 3,000 mg/lb.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This Thread isn't visual enough, so here...

Feeding time for my red Galacts with Calcium + and the occasional superpig. (Notice the blue flowers) :cool:
Dave,

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and as a relatively new 1+ year (but very enthusiastic and passionate) frogger, I am always looking for ways to improve. I use Zoo Med's Repti Calcium along with Repashy's Vitamin A Plus and another vitamin supplement that I cannot think of at this time. Based on the conversation that I have read, I am certainly considering using Repashy's Calcium Plus. With that said, I am intrigued by how you feed your frogs in the video. You put your flies in a petri dish and they seem to hang out in that one corner and stay there. How do you do that? I simply dump them in the viv and they scatter all over the place. The frogs hunt and are very healthy, but it would be neat to see them come to the dish and dine. Thanks.

Aaron

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Dave,

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and as a relatively new 1+ year (but very enthusiastic and passionate) frogger, I am always looking for ways to improve. I use Zoo Med's Repti Calcium along with Repashy's Vitamin A Plus and another vitamin supplement that I cannot think of at this time. Based on the conversation that I have read, I am certainly considering using Repashy's Calcium Plus. With that said, I am intrigued by how you feed your frogs in the video. You put your flies in a petri dish and they seem to hang out in that one corner and stay there. How do you do that? I simply dump them in the viv and they scatter all over the place. The frogs hunt and are very healthy, but it would be neat to see them come to the dish and dine. Thanks.

Aaron
I haven't really looked at zoo med's supplement. Repashy was/is all the rage so I just jumped on the bandwagon :)

...As for feeding flies like that, I just dump them into a cup with some supplement powder (shake em around a bit to get em covered),then pour them into the petri dish. It was a clean enough dish that with the powder on them very few could climb up and out. The reason they are all in that one end is the dish was just sitting at an angle, not really necessary, just a result of that stump not being level. :)

I often just dump flies in also, but doing it this way can help you monitor how much each frog is eating, and keeps supplement powder off plants/moss which can be kinda bad for the plants.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I haven't really looked at zoo med's supplement. Repashy was/is all the rage so I just jumped on the bandwagon :)

...As for feeding flies like that, I just dump them into a cup with some supplement powder (shake em around a bit to get em covered),then pour them into the petri dish. It was a clean enough dish that with the powder on them very few could climb up and out. The reason they are all in that one end is the dish was just sitting at an angle, not really necessary, just a result of that stump not being level. :)

I often just dump flies in also, but doing it this way can help you monitor how much each frog is eating, and keeps supplement powder off plants/moss which can be kinda bad for the plants.
Thanks Dave. I am going to give it a try. As for the bandwagon...I am getting on for the ride!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts