Dendroboard banner

Best suppliments to dust flies with?

18K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  Celtic Aaron 
#1 ·
Which suppliments would you recomend I dust my flies with in order for the frogs to gain weight fast?
I've been using a generic calcium powder with vitamin D because it was left over, and the frogs seem to be growing steadily, but now I'm thinking about switching it up.

Also are there any suppliments out there that will "boost" or enhance the colors in my frogs to make them more vibrant?

I've only been using the 1 suppliment for now but I feel like mixing two or three when I dust the flies would give the frogs more nutrients right?

#4 ·
However that is not completely necessary since calcium plus already has superpig in it... I believe 6%, if memory serves me correct.
Repashy Calcium Plus is an all in one supplement, and one of the only ones that provides a usable form of Vit A. I highly suggest you get some to dust your flies with. Also, be sure to throw out supplements after 6 months, and keep the supplements in the fridge, taking out only enough to last you a few weeks. This way, you don't have to constantly take the supplements out of the fridge.

#5 ·
superpig enhances some colors, like reds and orange and i believe yellow. repashy calcium plus is the best. its designed as a stand alone vitamin. i use that at every feeding and once a month or so i use repashy vitamin a. sometimes i switch it up and use repashy superpig.

#7 ·
Mixing 2 or 3 different brands does not necessarily provide better nutrition. If one brand is properly formulated, but the second brand is chronically low in say, vitamin A, then all you've done is dilute your vitamin A. You are no longer providing enough vitamin A.

I use Repashy Calcium Plus and I don't mix other brands in. I do use an extra dusting of Repashy SuperPig, and one dusting of Repashy Vitamin A Plus each month.

#9 ·
Theres nothing Wrong with Variety either... Ive used Herptivite & Rep Cal Calcium D3 for about a decade (you tend to trust what has worked for you most) & Ive never had any bone or Calcium Deficiency issues in my frogs..I also have used Dendrocare sold by Black Jungle which I like as well.. I have tried Repashy Cal PLus & it is a good all in one also, but Ive had many more years with the REpcal Calcium D3 & Herptivite so I can speak to the integrity of those products much more. I think you can get people to argue that just about any one of the above stated Supps or combination is superior, but for me as long as you are using A trusted Multi Vitamin & Calcium w D3 listed above you are fine...I know some knowledgeable breeders that use combinations of all the leading brands & alternate between them to try & utilize all of the trace elements that certain Supplements may have more then others. As the other member stated, I keep my Supplements in the Fridge & only take out whats needed for the particular feeding. However Ive never felt the need to discard after 6 months, I Feel keeping the Vitamins sealed properly in the Fridge helps them preserve closer to Expiration without losing much Potency. I have so many frogs that my supps never get a chance to expire, but I have gone well over 6 months in the past when my collection was smaller & had no issues.
The Superpig being a color enhancer & is not necessary for health reasons. A member stated that Superpig may be included in Cal plus in a small percentage? I was unaware that any of this is in the Cal plus Supp? I figured Repashy Cal plus was Supervite & Calcium..
Some people sprinkle Paprika on flies once in a while to help frogs retain color.. I have not really seen a need to do this personally, but I am interested in seeing the effects of the color enhancing supps so I have some froglets I am using the enhancers with & some I have not.. So far Ive seen no difference in the first 4-5 months, but It may take a year from what Im told..

#11 ·
I don't see anyone saying Repashy Superevite? How come?

Our dust supplemental regiment includes the following:

Repashy Calcium Plus
Repashy Supervite
Repashy Vitamin A Plus
Rep-Cal Calcium + Vit D3
Rep-Cal Herptivite

We dust with Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite mixed at the time of feeding. We don't mix any others together.

Vitamin A Plus gets used about once a month.

We alternate between Repashy products and Rep-Cal products.

I prefer feeding with Rep-Cal as it coats the flies better. I find the Repashy products clump up in the feeder cup after a few minutes, which results us having to work with it in much smaller quantities at a time.

Whatever you choose, remember to keep your supplements well sealed and stored in the refrigerator to provide you with their maximum benefits. Also, be sure to replace them at the six month mark of being opened.

Brad

#12 ·
I also used repcal and heptivite for years and years but never had growth and breeding like I had when I switched to repashy. Herptivite has no usable vitamin a. I attribute my success with repashy to the vitamin a and proper balance/ratios of calcium to vitamins.

For fly coating issues. Get a mortar and pestal. Like $6. I keep my repashy in the fridge. Use within 6 months. I take 2-3 days worth out at a time and fine grind in mortar and pestal. Then use it and repeat in 2-3 days

#19 ·
As I previously mentioned, I use the Repashy Calcium Plus along with the Repashy Superpig. While Superpig is marketed for color enhancement, it contains three important ingredients which have scientifically been proven to have health benefits in animals. The main one being Tumeric. The active component in Tumeric is curcumin. I do not use any additional vitamin A supplementation as the Repashy Calcium Plus contains Vit A and Superpig, precursors to Vit A.

I am a scientist, so I research the ingredients before using any supplement.
The other two ingredients in Superpig that I like is Spirulina and Rose Hips.
Repashy Calcium Plus contains Tumeric as well, but scientific studies have shown that the health benefits of Tumeric are obtained at higher dosages.

#20 ·
As I previously mentioned, I use the Repashy Calcium Plus along with the Repashy Superpig. While Superpig is marketed for color enhancement, it contains three important ingredients which have scientifically been proven to have health benefits in animals. The main one being Tumeric. The active component in Tumeric is curcumin. I do not use any additional vitamin A supplementation as the Repashy Calcium Plus contains Vit A and Superpig, precursors to Vit A.

I am a scientist, so I research the ingredients before using any supplement.
The other two ingredients in Superpig that I like is Spirulina and Rose Hips.
Repashy Calcium Plus contains Tumeric as well, but scientific studies have shown that the health benefits of Tumeric are obtained at higher dosages.
There are actually a number of other carotenoid sources than the couple you mentioned in the Repashy Calcium Plus as well as multiple ingredients known to be "scientifically" important.......

As for whether or not the levels of curcumin are sufficient to be effective depends a lot on what you are using to measure the levels as well as what systems to expect to target.. For example while curcumin itself is apparently poorly bioavailable it's metabolites may not be similarly constrained.. and if we are considering it's effects in the digestive tract, the uptake is then a moot topic.

While restricted to people, this is a decent discussion on minimal toxic dosing of standardized curcumin in humans.. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine | Full text | Dose escalation of a curcuminoid formulation

Some comments

Ed

#50 ·
Whatever you decide, I would encourage you to do some research beforehand. I think most people that have commented on here have recommended the Repashy Calcium Plus as a primary supplement and I agree. I use the Superpig for added health and coloration enhancement as I previously stated. Unless I see
symptoms of Vitamin A deficiency, I will not use additional Vit A. IMO the Repashy Calcium Plus has sufficient Vit A in the form of Retinol and Carotenoids.
The Superpig has the Carotenoids as well. Good luck with your frogs.

Lane, aka, SilverLynx

#51 ·
For those interested, here are the ingredients in a few of the repashy products

Repashy Calcium Plus
Calcium Carbonate, Dried Kelp, Cellulose (as carrier), Brewer’s Yeast, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Spirulina Algae, Turmeric, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Natural Flavoring, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement). Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 2%, Crude Fat min. 0.2%, Crude Fat max. 0.6%, Crude Fiber max. 1%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 35%, Calcium min. 17%, Calcium max. 20%, Phosphorus min. 0.6%, Vitamin E min. 2,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D min. 20,000 IU/lb, Vitamin A min. 200,000 IU/lb. Total Carotenoids min. 500 mg/lb.

Repashy SuperPig
Calendula Flower “Pot Marigold”, Capsicum Annuum Extract “Paprika” (Saponified), Tagetes Erecta Extract “Marigold” (Saponified), Pfaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Spirulina Platensis Algae, Rosa Canina Powder “RoseHips”, Curcuma Longa “Turmeric”, Canthaxanthin. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 6%, Crude Fat min. 1%, Crude Fat max. 3%, Crude Fiber max. 10%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 8%. Total Carotenoids min. 3,000 mg/lb.

Repashy Vitamin A Plus
Calcium Carbonate, Fructose Powder, Cellulose Powder (as carriers), Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Calcium Propionate, Retinyl Acetate, Rosemary and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives). Guaranteed Analysis: Vitamin A (as Retinyl Acetate) 2,000,000 IU/lb.

And for quick reference, compared to Calcium+, Superig has 6X carotenoids, and VitA+ has 10X vitamin A.

#77 ·
Dave,

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and as a relatively new 1+ year (but very enthusiastic and passionate) frogger, I am always looking for ways to improve. I use Zoo Med's Repti Calcium along with Repashy's Vitamin A Plus and another vitamin supplement that I cannot think of at this time. Based on the conversation that I have read, I am certainly considering using Repashy's Calcium Plus. With that said, I am intrigued by how you feed your frogs in the video. You put your flies in a petri dish and they seem to hang out in that one corner and stay there. How do you do that? I simply dump them in the viv and they scatter all over the place. The frogs hunt and are very healthy, but it would be neat to see them come to the dish and dine. Thanks.

Aaron

#58 ·
Are their any differences between Repashys T-rex Bearded Dragon dust and Leopard gecko dust?, and any significant differences from Repashy Calcium plus? A cursory glance at the ingredients show them to be identical.

Zoomed Reptivite also contains available vitamin A. But I haven't heard of anyone using it with their frogs.

The fact that success was had with Rep-cal/Herptivite could be due to varied diets or some other source of vit A we can't tease out. Would microfauna or FF convert beta carotenes to vitamin A for the frogs? Say you gutload isopods with a chunk of mango, papaya, or similar fruit.

#59 ·
Thats funny, I was wondering the same thing about insects diet & if/how it affects the nutritional value to the frogs with respect to Available useable Coenzymes/vitamins... I used to feed a larger variety of insects & larvae years ago when I had lizards to help eat the bugs that got too large & reproduced in large numbers, but now I pretty much use Melos raised on standard fly media as a staple so proper supplementing is crucial.. It seems most people believe Repashy Cal plus is the most complete & effective Stand alone Supp for frogs containing all they need in one container.. I may have gotten away with Herptivite & Repcal Calcium D3 for years in the past when I didnt know any better, but to be honest Im not sure how or why.. Im just glad Ive introduced better more complete supplements into my regimen the last few years.. Man you treat your Isos good man? you would give them a Fresh Mango!?lol I dont know if I could share...

#63 ·
I think the OPs question is most directly answered with Repashy Calcium plus. I know a lot of breeder rotate but its hard for me to tell if they do that because of old habit or because it cost them nothing more since they have so many frogs, or maybe they just like selling lots of supplements most of which you will throw out. What I know is I have hardly made a dent in my the amount of supplements I have in a bottle of calcium plus and it is about to go on 6 months and it will need replaced. (I have 6 frogs right now) So if you have less than 15 frogs Calcium plus will probably work fine and save you money. Based on the OPs signature 1 supplement will be good enough.

I am most curious to hear about color though and superpig. Is superpig a waste if Calcium plus has the nutrients or does it improve color?

#65 ·
I used their old color enhancer years ago, as did many other dart froggers then, but I haven't heard any in a long time. Current wisdome is repashy calcium icb, repashy superpig, and occasional repashy vit A.

I am most curious to hear about color though and superpig. Is superpig a waste if Calcium plus has the nutrients or does it improve color?
(Ingredients are usually listed by most % of total mix first).
super pig INGREDIENTS: Calendula Flower “Pot Marigold”, Capsicum Annuum Extract “Paprika” (Saponified), Tagetes Erecta Extract “Marigold” (Saponified), Pfaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Spirulina Platensis Algae, Rosa Canina Powder “RoseHips”, Curcuma Longa “Turmeric”, Canthaxanthin.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 6%, Crude Fat min. 1%, Crude Fat max. 3%, Crude Fiber max. 10%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 8%. Total Carotenoids min. 3,000 mg/lb.

VS

Calcium plus INGREDIENTS: Calcium Carbonate, Dried Kelp, Cellulose (as carrier), Brewer’s Yeast, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Spirulina Algae, Turmeric, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Natural Flavoring, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 2%, Crude Fat min. 0.2%, Crude Fat max. 0.6%, Crude Fiber max. 1%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 35%, Calcium min. 17%, Calcium max. 20%, Phosphorus min. 0.6%, Vitamin E min. 2,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D min. 20,000 IU/lb, Vitamin A min. 200,000 IU/lb. Total Carotenoids min. 500 mg/lb.

So for color you'd probably want super pig, and anecdotal reports from froggers and personal use suggest that is is better then standard supps for color.

#66 ·
Hey Dave, I hope that you simply misspoke, rather than have supplements that old. If you have a bottle of Repashy Calcium ICB you might want to consider replacement. Repashy Calcium ICB was replaced by Repashy Calcium Plus something like 1.5 or 2 years ago. They are essentially the same, but if the bottle says ICB, then it's time for a fresh bottle.

#67 ·
LoL... misspoke. I don't always do it every 6 months, but I'm not that bad! :) ...In fact if I don't use them by 6 months or close I'll just stop using supps till I get around to getting them again. It may not be ideal, but I think as long as you don't wait to long it is less risky then bad supps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.