Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which suppliments would you recomend I dust my flies with in order for the frogs to gain weight fast?
I've been using a generic calcium powder with vitamin D because it was left over, and the frogs seem to be growing steadily, but now I'm thinking about switching it up.

Also are there any suppliments out there that will "boost" or enhance the colors in my frogs to make them more vibrant?

I've only been using the 1 suppliment for now but I feel like mixing two or three when I dust the flies would give the frogs more nutrients right?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Repashy Calcium Plus as has been mentioned along with Repashy Superpig. You can tell when Superpig is used in conjunction with the Calcium Pkus

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Repashy Calcium Plus as has been mentioned along with Repashy Superpig. You can tell when Superpig is used in conjunction with the Calcium Pkus
However that is not completely necessary since calcium plus already has superpig in it... I believe 6%, if memory serves me correct.
Repashy Calcium Plus is an all in one supplement, and one of the only ones that provides a usable form of Vit A. I highly suggest you get some to dust your flies with. Also, be sure to throw out supplements after 6 months, and keep the supplements in the fridge, taking out only enough to last you a few weeks. This way, you don't have to constantly take the supplements out of the fridge.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
superpig enhances some colors, like reds and orange and i believe yellow. repashy calcium plus is the best. its designed as a stand alone vitamin. i use that at every feeding and once a month or so i use repashy vitamin a. sometimes i switch it up and use repashy superpig.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Mixing 2 or 3 different brands does not necessarily provide better nutrition. If one brand is properly formulated, but the second brand is chronically low in say, vitamin A, then all you've done is dilute your vitamin A. You are no longer providing enough vitamin A.

I use Repashy Calcium Plus and I don't mix other brands in. I do use an extra dusting of Repashy SuperPig, and one dusting of Repashy Vitamin A Plus each month.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mixing 2 or 3 different brands does not necessarily provide better nutrition. If one brand is properly formulated, but the second brand is chronically low in say, vitamin A, then all you've done is dilute your vitamin A. You are no longer providing enough vitamin A.

I use Repashy Calcium Plus and I don't mix other brands in. I do use an extra dusting of Repashy SuperPig, and one dusting of Repashy Vitamin A Plus each month.
solid advice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Theres nothing Wrong with Variety either... Ive used Herptivite & Rep Cal Calcium D3 for about a decade (you tend to trust what has worked for you most) & Ive never had any bone or Calcium Deficiency issues in my frogs..I also have used Dendrocare sold by Black Jungle which I like as well.. I have tried Repashy Cal PLus & it is a good all in one also, but Ive had many more years with the REpcal Calcium D3 & Herptivite so I can speak to the integrity of those products much more. I think you can get people to argue that just about any one of the above stated Supps or combination is superior, but for me as long as you are using A trusted Multi Vitamin & Calcium w D3 listed above you are fine...I know some knowledgeable breeders that use combinations of all the leading brands & alternate between them to try & utilize all of the trace elements that certain Supplements may have more then others. As the other member stated, I keep my Supplements in the Fridge & only take out whats needed for the particular feeding. However Ive never felt the need to discard after 6 months, I Feel keeping the Vitamins sealed properly in the Fridge helps them preserve closer to Expiration without losing much Potency. I have so many frogs that my supps never get a chance to expire, but I have gone well over 6 months in the past when my collection was smaller & had no issues.
The Superpig being a color enhancer & is not necessary for health reasons. A member stated that Superpig may be included in Cal plus in a small percentage? I was unaware that any of this is in the Cal plus Supp? I figured Repashy Cal plus was Supervite & Calcium..
Some people sprinkle Paprika on flies once in a while to help frogs retain color.. I have not really seen a need to do this personally, but I am interested in seeing the effects of the color enhancing supps so I have some froglets I am using the enhancers with & some I have not.. So far Ive seen no difference in the first 4-5 months, but It may take a year from what Im told..

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't see anyone saying Repashy Superevite? How come?

Our dust supplemental regiment includes the following:

Repashy Calcium Plus
Repashy Supervite
Repashy Vitamin A Plus
Rep-Cal Calcium + Vit D3
Rep-Cal Herptivite

We dust with Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite mixed at the time of feeding. We don't mix any others together.

Vitamin A Plus gets used about once a month.

We alternate between Repashy products and Rep-Cal products.

I prefer feeding with Rep-Cal as it coats the flies better. I find the Repashy products clump up in the feeder cup after a few minutes, which results us having to work with it in much smaller quantities at a time.

Whatever you choose, remember to keep your supplements well sealed and stored in the refrigerator to provide you with their maximum benefits. Also, be sure to replace them at the six month mark of being opened.

Brad

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also used repcal and heptivite for years and years but never had growth and breeding like I had when I switched to repashy. Herptivite has no usable vitamin a. I attribute my success with repashy to the vitamin a and proper balance/ratios of calcium to vitamins.

For fly coating issues. Get a mortar and pestal. Like $6. I keep my repashy in the fridge. Use within 6 months. I take 2-3 days worth out at a time and fine grind in mortar and pestal. Then use it and repeat in 2-3 days

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I use Herptivite & Rep Cal Calcium D3 as well as superpig from repashi. I also use Greenmin, its a spirlina algae supplement. Testing it out to see if it enhances greens and blues.

Dawn
I believe that spirulina has long been thought to try and supplement blues and greens but to the best of my knowledge nothing has ever been proven.
Last year Ed posted on a thread about dart frogs skin and iridophores and such. I'm trying to find the thread without much luck so far.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The Superpig being a color enhancer & is not necessary for health reasons. A member stated that Superpig may be included in Cal plus in a small percentage? I was unaware that any of this is in the Cal plus Supp?
As previously mentioned, Cal+ is composed of superpig by about 6%. Therefore, every single ingredient present in superpig is also present in Cal+ (you can check the ingredient label to confirm).

Superpig is mainly meant to be used as a color enhancer; it's carotenoids will only enhance reds/yellows though. Carotenoids are important in animals because they can get converted into vitamin A and act as antioxidants; they also play an important role in maintaining vision quality. So, some people think that supplementing superpig is important for metabolic reasons (but I personally do not since it's included in Cal+).

I don't see anyone saying Repashy Superevite? How come?
Because we're lazy and Cal+ has everything frogs need really, right? :p

I also use Greenmin, its a spirlina algae supplement. Testing it out to see if it enhances greens and blues.
I believe this has been discussed on the boards, but I think the greens and blues in frogs are caused by a different mechanism than the reds/yellows (iridophores), and you can't really supplement/enhance for them.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts

Me too......best stuff on the market.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As I previously mentioned, I use the Repashy Calcium Plus along with the Repashy Superpig. While Superpig is marketed for color enhancement, it contains three important ingredients which have scientifically been proven to have health benefits in animals. The main one being Tumeric. The active component in Tumeric is curcumin. I do not use any additional vitamin A supplementation as the Repashy Calcium Plus contains Vit A and Superpig, precursors to Vit A.

I am a scientist, so I research the ingredients before using any supplement.
The other two ingredients in Superpig that I like is Spirulina and Rose Hips.
Repashy Calcium Plus contains Tumeric as well, but scientific studies have shown that the health benefits of Tumeric are obtained at higher dosages.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
As I previously mentioned, I use the Repashy Calcium Plus along with the Repashy Superpig. While Superpig is marketed for color enhancement, it contains three important ingredients which have scientifically been proven to have health benefits in animals. The main one being Tumeric. The active component in Tumeric is curcumin. I do not use any additional vitamin A supplementation as the Repashy Calcium Plus contains Vit A and Superpig, precursors to Vit A.

I am a scientist, so I research the ingredients before using any supplement.
The other two ingredients in Superpig that I like is Spirulina and Rose Hips.
Repashy Calcium Plus contains Tumeric as well, but scientific studies have shown that the health benefits of Tumeric are obtained at higher dosages.
There are actually a number of other carotenoid sources than the couple you mentioned in the Repashy Calcium Plus as well as multiple ingredients known to be "scientifically" important.......

As for whether or not the levels of curcumin are sufficient to be effective depends a lot on what you are using to measure the levels as well as what systems to expect to target.. For example while curcumin itself is apparently poorly bioavailable it's metabolites may not be similarly constrained.. and if we are considering it's effects in the digestive tract, the uptake is then a moot topic.

While restricted to people, this is a decent discussion on minimal toxic dosing of standardized curcumin in humans.. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine | Full text | Dose escalation of a curcuminoid formulation

Some comments

Ed

1 - 20 of 79 Posts