Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
O. pumilio 'Escudo' | R. summersi | R. uakarii 'gold legged' | R. reticulata | R. fantastica
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting on a new build and have decided to go with Spyra from folius for the background. I ordered a large sheet as well as a couple of panels of the Matala material that they offer.

I was originally thinking of using the Matala as both the drainage later (I still am and think it will be great and easy for that) as well as the background support layer for the Spyra. However, now that I see the Matala in person it is very open in nature. It's the black which is the most porous version of the product and the only one that folius offers.

Now I'm wondering if I would be better off just using Great Stuff for the base then gluing the Spyra over that. I'm just worried that the open space behind the Spyra (due to the very open/porous nature of the black Matala) will allow it to dry to quickly.

So basically, black Matala vs Great Stuff vs something else(?) for the Spyra support layer?

Any experienced opinions on this? Thanks!

Also, this will be an 18x18x24 tank set up with a mister.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think most people use matala for a drainage layer, but I do remember reading folius' description and they said it could be used as a background material. If you don't like it you could save it for drainage layer if you ever use another tank, but I also thought that it could be used almost like spyra, with wicking capabilities if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I don't think that Matala really wicks......the piece I have lets water drain directly through it...amazing...hold it under running water and it just pours through...

·
Registered
O. pumilio 'Escudo' | R. summersi | R. uakarii 'gold legged' | R. reticulata | R. fantastica
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

It will certainly work great as a drainage layer. Just cut to size and drop in the bottom of the tank.

I was, like you I think, under the impression that it was a somewhat spongy finer material. But upon seeing it in person you would understand that this is not the case. There is a lot of open space between the strands making up the filter and the material itself is a very smooth hard plastic.

It's very rigid and would hold up a background if anchored properly, just not sure it would be the best option...

Here's a photo attempting to show what I mean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The epiweb/ecoweb stuff (that is harder to find now) was more like a big brillo pad. MUCH finer and sort of 'scratchy'-ier than matala. If you can find big enough sheets of filter material at your LFS that's probably the cheapest route. Silicone ought to stick to it like nobody's business. Color shouldn't be too much of an issue with spyra glued over it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have used Epiweb and hygrolon in my 45x45x60 exo build. Epiweb on the two sides and hygrolon covering the expanding waterfall foam. Epiweb doesn't wick, I use it as a timed drip wall with a moss slurry. The hygrolon wicks, also great in strips for branches to hold moisture for moss. I think each has a different application, but hygrolon (spyra) will work on pretty much anything. I love the stuff!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.