Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon paludarium that is 2/3 land 1/3 water and i want to maintain food cultures inside the tank in the water and on land. Aside from springtails isopods and daphnia what other animals and/or plants could I use?

The tank is going to house african reed frogs, killifish, and maybe a pygmy sunfish.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've cultured a lot of daphnia over the years, and though I love the idea of culturing food in the vivarium itself, I expect that the killifish and sunfish will completely eliminate any daphnia in short order. The springtails and isopods, as has been amply demonstrated, should work much better. An aquatic food item you might have better luck with is amphipods. As long as they have ample places to hide, they can maintain a population even in a tank inhabited by their predators. This is particularly true if you include a sort of refugium area.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pictures of my tank

I am going to add some more plants to the water all I have right now is an Anubia a Java fern and Java moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks
Do reed frogs eat springtails and Isopods?
They won't bother with the springs after a couple months old. They will pick off isopods if they get the chance but these frogs spend all of their time above ground level. Mine come down to feed once a night or so then back up into the vertical space.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not sure if the picture is deceptive or not but to me it looks like you really need more vertical height.
Also most of your plants will push against the top within the year. You should lower the ground level. Consider putting in a barrier between the water and land sections. Once the roots start spreading they will become water logged and rot.

Take a look through this. The NEHerp team did a good job on this IMO and can help I think.
New England Herpetoculture LLC - Vivarium Construction 101

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to have to trim the plants back often and there is a divider between the land and water sections. I thought african reed frogs didn't need much height.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Im going to have to trim the plants back often and there is a divider between the land and water sections. I thought african reed frogs didn't need much height.
More height than a dart frog needs TBH. They spend 90% of their lives above ground level.
I don't even keep a "land" section in the reed frog viv. The bottom is all water with wood floating in it. I feed in a floating high wall cup that they walk in and out of when they want to eat. It is a 20long vert with about 4" of water in the bottom and the rest is planted vertical space and they use every bit of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jiZ6aY7R3o

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already have some fire belly toads in another tank and they don't seem to use the land very mich

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've though about filling cork rounds with charcoal and stuff so the isos can culture in there. Maybe even just fill it with ABG mix mixed with some leaves or something. Leaving tiny cracks for the isos and sprintails to get into.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts