Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank dimensions: 48" long, 14-15" high (still have to add abg), 12" wide
Humidity: 70+ (probably higher like 80-90)
Temp: high 60sF to mid 70sF
Tank Placement: medium to high activity area
Frog size wanted: ideally UNDER 2" to reduce damage to plants.
*Frog temperament wanted*: adults get along in group (aka no fights to the death-don't care about egg eating)
Frog Noise level: low priority- as long as they aren't as loud as birds I don't care.

Tank will have emersed aquatic plants so a lot of humidity. I also have lot of driftwood in there but its more for us (humans) to enjoy than the frogs to jump on-I'll have more vertical tanks later so don't mind the frogs not jumping on the wood.. even if it spans the whole tank.

I've looked at josh'sfrogs more.. and sadly my favorite option the tincs are off the table for the potential of females fighting to the death over a mate... maybe I can get 1-2 for a smaller viv later, but not for the 55g.

I'll probably go with one of the auratus varieties...which means once I settle on wood I get to cut up my false bottom to make a stream/pond.

But I'd still like to get input from owners!

current driftwood scape meddlings (will be doing more variations over weekend)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't own any that's why I wasn't very specific. Currently I only have a pair of juvie azureus. I'm new to darts as well I just read that leucomelas was a good beginner frog that does well in groups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have leucs. They are a great group frog for the most part, although I have seen some wrestling. I have 4 in a 75 gallon, and they are all over it. Very fun, bold frogs.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would go with a good group thumbnail... Varaderos etc. Love my luecs but being bigger and bulkier they are a bit less compatible with the small plants and 3-D environments we create for our frogs. Just a bit...

Hard to completely explain, but you will know what I mean when you see it. Keep in mind luecs will use the same space as thumbnails, just not as effortlessly and elegantly as they do.

Thumbnails are much less likely to disturb the smallest most delicate plants you could place in your tank. Also, when they are hunting and walking across the front glass of your tank they might as well be on flat ground. They can move on any surface without any effort.

As much as luecs will definitely use every surface of your tank it is not as effortless as with thumbnails. When luecs climb on the front glass, because of their weight, they are basically holding on for dear life lol; as an example of what I mean.

The design layout you are going with is perfect for both luecs and thumbnails.

Anyways, that's my preference for the parameters you laid out... Hopefully that helps. Choose wisely and good luck with your build... Have fun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't own any that's why I wasn't very specific. Currently I only have a pair of juvie azureus. I'm new to darts as well I just read that leucomelas was a good beginner frog that does well in groups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Ah ok. Still appreciate the input. Hope your juvies do well ^^

I have leucs. They are a great group frog for the most part, although I have seen some wrestling. I have 4 in a 75 gallon, and they are all over it. Very fun, bold frogs.
Thank you for the input.

I would go with a good group thumbnail... Varaderos etc. Love my luecs but being bigger and bulkier they are a bit less compatible with the small plants and 3-D environments we create for our frogs. Just a bit...

Hard to completely explain, but you will know what I mean when you see it. Keep in mind luecs will use the same space as thumbnails, just not as effortlessly and elegantly as they do.

Thumbnails are much less likely to disturb the smallest most delicate plants you could place in your tank. Also, when they are hunting and walking across the front glass of your tank they might as well be on flat ground. They can move on any surface without any effort.

As much as luecs will definitely use every surface of your tank it is not as effortless as with thumbnails. When luecs climb on the front glass, because of their weight, they are basically holding on for dear life lol; as an example of what I mean.

The design layout you are going with is perfect for both luecs and thumbnails.

Anyways, that's my preference for the parameters you laid out... Hopefully that helps. Choose wisely and good luck with your build... Have fun.
Bolded part gave me a laugh- anthropomorphize them into something visibly freaking out as they slowly slide down the glass. I have been looking at the thumbnails too, but was thinking of using them in the future 20g long vertical conversion since they don't need too much space. Will give them some more thought.. maybe I'll just stick to thumbs and choose different variations for each tank (1 kind per).. dunno yet.

Still happy to take input from anyone else that want's to give it. I'm not rushing this.. likely won't get frogs for many months..probably not until late winter/next spring-give plants plenty of time to grow first (and springtails to take over the tank for big 'welcome home' feast ^.~ ).

·
Registered
405 Posts
My auratus use the entire tank and don't seem to have any problems climbing and moving around. I have 5 in a 90 cube and some prefer the flat bottom while others climb all the way to the top. Their call is pretty quiet and sometimes hard to hear if there is other noise in the room. All in all, I have really enjoyed these frogs and I'm looking at getting another morph very soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts