Dendroboard banner

Best dart for a vert

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you recommend for a 20 long vertical tank? I'm thinking a trio of imitators?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah just saw the retics. Was thinking it was all thumbs.
I voted variablis. They are very similar to standard imis. I only voted variablis as my group is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah my next will be varadero... I have an empty vert just waiting for them.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thumbs should be kept in pairs for the most part, unless you have a lot of expeirence (in the hobby and that particular species) and time to observe the frogs to watch for stress.
Actually I think many (though not all) of the thumbnails are less aggressive than their bigger Dendrobates relatives and can make great group frogs. For example, I've never had problems with or heard of difficulties keeping vents and variabilis in groups. Now imitators seem to be an exception, from what I've read, they are more monogamous and typically a dominant pair might establish leaving a "third wheel" or extras that don't participate in breeding and may wrestle. So I think it might be better for a pair of imitators in a 20, or you could do a group of 3-4 of something like vents.
Bryan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now imitators seem to be an exception, from what I've read, they are more monogamous and typically a dominant pair might establish leaving a "third wheel" or extras that don't participate in breeding and may wrestle. So I think it might be better for a pair of imitators in a 20.
Bryan
Yes, he said he was thinking about a trio of imitators and they fall under the "territorial" group of thumbs. Thank you for specifying.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Best so far have been the Vanzolinis and Varaderos and the worst (because I never see her) is R. summersi (though it is a super beautiful frog).

Just choose what YOU love.

Richard.

·
Registered
995 Posts
why not find a frog you like, research the hell out of it, and build a tank around that frog? it would make the frogs happier, and most likely you happier, if you do that than try to find a frog that fits something you already have...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts