Dendroboard banner

Best beginner dart?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also add one vote for Auratus. They were my first frogs and my only frogs thus far. I could have chosen from a variety of Tincs, some Leucs or Azureus, etc at the time of my purchase, but I opted for what in my mind I consider the definite classic among Darts... Highly recommended as a great beginner frog!

Mine are Costa Rican Green&Blacks, and they are not nearly as shy as some people claim. They are always out and about, climbing all around utilizing the entire space in the tank - and they're not even full grown yet!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think there is no substitute for vast amounts of research. That being said I voted for Azureus.

The reasons are these:

1) Ease of Care ( no more or less than Auratus or Leucs )
2) Bold frog ( more so )
3) Easier to breed in comparison to other frogs

I cold just as easily recomend Auratus or Leucs which were my firsts, but I think that if we are looking at everything all together Azureus gets the slight nod in my opinion.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I am myself looking at a beginner frog and I am also highly inclined towards getting a group of Azureus but the whole female - female domination thing is a little stressful for me.
I would hate to have to separate them or anything because the whole point of me getting a group is to watch a group not individual frogs in each tank.

How do you deal with the female violence in Azureus?
I have a 45Gal 24x18x24 exo terra viv I'm construction so PLENTY of space for 3-4 Azureus right?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I think it's all about providing plenty of hiding places/visual barriers, and being sure to monitor each individual frog's feeding habits...

I'm going to be building a 90 gallon and putting like 5 D. azureus in there myself!

I suspect if the frogs sort of "grow up together", that would help out a little as well....

·
Registered
176 Posts
well this has been said but from personal experience I say Leucs are the best! They are not only beautiful but active and they are always out and about. Definitely a hardy species! So I shall put up some pics of one of my leucs that I had!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know if it's already mentioned, but Hyloxalus azureiventris (former known as Cryptophylobates azureiventris) works just fine. It's a though frog, beautiful call and pretty bold. I understand it was quite popular, but there are not so many in the hobby anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i voted for Azureus because those were my first frogs and i enjoy them till this day, watching them interact, wrestle, or even just hang out and hunt. just a good frog all around real hardy. although i hear lecus are great.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
i think the vents are an amazing beginner frog for the fact is that their small and i hear their shy but from my expierence their always outi have 1.2 in a nicely planted 10 and they soak in the lil pool hang inthe film cans and at night sleep in the brush. each one has their fav leaf i can find them at. when i mist and feed they come from hiding to eat and im happy to say i can physically see all 3 eat daily. the main reason why their great for a first timer, they fit in a smaller viv and their hardy gives a newbie a way to trial and error and do everything on a smaller scale befor getting into larger dendrobates and larger more advanced vivariums.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I voted "Other" because about 4 years ago I bought a Bumble Bee dart frog and what do you know it was actually a Leuc.I also think Auratus are really good beginner darts.From what i have researched and read was that they are both really attractive ,bold, hardy, and active darts.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I'm a big fan of P. Vittatus as a beginner dart. Second to that would be vents and imitators.
Vittatus are great because they do well in groups, can eat a large variety of different feeders, breed well, are not expensive, and have a bunch of cool calls. They start out a little shy, but quickly become bolder.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Beginners---Read all the posts you can here first before posting. Soak it up like a sponge.

D. Imitator Standard---great little frog---the size of a thumbnail. Beautiful colors, great disposition. Needs a vertical tank with lots of climbing space, miniature bromeliads (Neoreglia is my fave), high humidity and moss galore.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've got to be the one to state the obvious, as far as votes go. . . azureus should count toward the tinctorous vote. Afterall, the last i checked they were part of the same group

·
Registered
145 Posts
Voted for Other. LOVE my Vittatus. They're gorgeous, they're social, they chirp and chitter at each other, and will sit in the middle of the viv and stare at me while I'm watching TV. Wonderful frogs!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I totally agree with Justin..if conditions are right(humidity,temp)all u need is a small amount of airflow plenty of plants and ffs..any more than that is just asthetics..I raised frogs just fine with a simple setup as well as the extras

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking at the results it seems that the best beginner frog would simply be the cheaper ones I guess it's easier on ur wallet if u happen to loose a frog or 2

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agreed with previous comments about visiting a breeder. What qualifications are you looking for, ease of care? Visibility?

For an easy to care for dart that is not very shy I'd say D. leucomelas because they can rock a 10 gallon pretty easily. I think P. terribilis are great too because of their bold nature and ability to eat larger prey.

Really, it depends on what you're going for in terms of care and how elusive you want the dart to be. I rarely see my first D. auratus but she has grown bigger and faster than any of my other frogs.

Tough call.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts