Dendroboard banner

Best beginner dart?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
As a side note, one reason why I wouldn't vote terribilis/bicolor for a good starter because many folks here report them being a bit more touchy at high temperatures, the same reason why I wouldn't vote tricolor either.

Auratus, leucs, tincs/azureus are the best choice for "starters," but as long as you can keep them cool, terribilis/bicolor and tricolor are good choices. I don't know anything about vittatus or lugbris, but they could make good candidates. Auratus and leucs are the cheapest, but I started with a tinc and had a spare 20 gallon already (considering tincs are more aggressive than the other choices, needing more space).

If galacts weren't as expensive and truncatus weren't so rare, I'm sure they could substitute for the other tinc frogs.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Galacs and truncs are uncommon/expensive for a reason - they are tricky to breed successfully (not to mention sex in the first place). They are nice easy frogs for the most part, but a lot of people have some very serious issues breeding them, otherwise I would have recomended them in my other post. Both those species I'd say were more of an "intermediate" tinc group frog.

Each of the before mentioned frogs have their strong points and their weak points and differ to varying degrees in their care - I wouldn't say terrib/bicolor/tri temp "sensitivities" are a reason to pull them from the running - if you put those animals in a state where they'd die from heat, then other recomended species are going to have an issue as well. And honestly, I've seen tricolor be very forgiving about temps, its just their over all temps like to be lower, which is honestly right at my room temps. The few degree temp difference between what tricolor like and what some of my other frogs like is just a matter of how I place them on my rack system - tincs get the lower tanks that don't have lights under them to heat them up like the tanks above them. They are not like highland species of atelopus, mantellas, and orchids that need chillers, and the temp fluctuations that would harm them are bad to have with any PDF.

Its a matter of people needing to do their research, thats all, and the varying definitions of what makes a "beginner frog" which is judged by what their "easiness" level is (I commented on this in another thread).

G

·
I am a beginner with dart frogs... I have read everything I can about them for awhile now & picked up 4 black & green Auratus this past weekend... They where from a show.. I had wanted to get Leucs as my first becuase of there boldness but was a little discouraged when they had already sold out of them by the time I got there... I almost decided to go with out & wait... But decided I wanted the auratus eventually so I went with them even though I thought they would be more shy than I wanted for my first... Being a few days later I couldn't be more happy with my decision... I am hooked now. If these guys are the shy ones I can't wait until I can get some of the more bold species... Even though shy they are just fun to watch. I have close to 150 other reptiles & some exotics but these have been the most fun to watch so far. Allot more personality than most of my animals. -Brad

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would vote leucs, with azureus being a close second. I have a leuc, azureus and brazillian goldenhead and the leuc is the most fun, by far! She's all over the place climbing, eating and watching ME! She likes to explore and she's very pretty to look at. My azureus, on the other hand, is also pretty fun to watch, but not as bold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would vote leucs, with azureus being a close second. I have a leuc, azureus and brazillian goldenhead and the leuc is the most fun, by far! She's all over the place climbing, eating and watching ME! She likes to explore and she's very pretty to look at. My azureus, on the other hand, is also pretty fun to watch, but not as bold.

·
Registered
345 Posts
D. tinctorius powder blue is by far in my opinion the easiest to take care of because you can't really seem to do anything wrong and they just keep growing and becoming more active.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I vote imitator. I've only had leucs and imis, but I could never get my leucs to breed.
---------------------------------------------
Edit: Darn, I really hate the way a new vote registers as a new post. Well, I still vote imi.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would suggest two beginner darts:
Phyllobates aurotaenia, simply because I have about 30 of them :)
or Cryptophyllobates azureiventris.

My azureiventris have been just about bullet-proof. My cat caught an escapee, and after I got him back, and sprayed off the hairballs and dust bunnies, he hopped away like nothing happened.

I put a five frog breeding colony in a quarantine container, and due to a number of extenuating circumstances, they ended up living in there for months. It reached a point that the container was so overgrown it was like that scene in Jurassic park, where they drop the feeder animal in the veloceraptor cage, and all you see is the leaves move as they pounce on it.

I finally gave them a nice (although sparsely planted) viv in the store, and within minutes the male was singing his brains out. He's been at it for a week now, showing off for customers every chance he gets.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a beginner, and I have only a pair of green leg lamasi frogs, but I think they're great. The male started singing within a couple of weeks of my getting the pair--a beautiful little cricket/bird-like trill that I can hear from another room. The breeding started, and they have produced lots of eggs and tadpoles already (have had them 3 months, not long enough for froglets yet). The highlight so far was seeing the male start to carry tadpoles around on his back. These are small, fairly shy frogs, so I'm sure other people (maybe most other people) would say they're not good for beginners. But, I love the metallic yellow and green and black colors, and their interesting little lives in the bromeliads. I think the fact that they are such prolific breeders has made a huge difference, and now I'm thinking about what I want next! (what I want is red galactonotus, but not sure if I should do that, because it seems they like it a bit warmer, and my house is pretty cool in the winter). Anyway, my two cents,
Bill

·
Registered
44 Posts
;) I voted auratus because that's what I have & am extremely please w/their visability at the moment. It's a good thing that they come out as they're only about 1 1/2 months old & :eek: very hard to find when they choose to hide. Besides, they come in my fav color: Blue!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I voted for the leucs. The our colorful and bold. I have them in my living room and they are always out and about. Their call is amazing and loud. I can hear them all the way in the kitchen. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
D. auratus I am new here as of a few minutes ago and am getting back into darts. I chose D. auratus because that is what I started out with and they were super easy for me. I have been into reptiles and amphibians all my life and started with the darts a few years ago. I stopped after moving too much and now am ready to settle down with a few vivs. I will probably get the D. auratus first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I voted for azureus. They're relatively hardy, bold and one of the most beautiful darts out there. It's the species that really got me started in the hobby.

·
Registered
207 Posts
not sure if they've been mentioned (as I've just skim read) and they are not in the poll... I was considering red backed D. galactonotus as my first frogs..... any views on them at all? Could I add say 2 azureus and 2 galactonotus froglets into a tank (30UK gal) at the same time?

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
not sure if they've been mentioned (as I've just skim read) and they are not in the poll... I was considering red backed D. galactonotus as my first frogs..... any views on them at all? Could I add say 2 azureus and 2 galactonotus froglets into a tank (30UK gal) at the same time?
I would not recommend mixing those two species into adulthood, as once they become sexually mature they may become agressive (especially any female azureus).

Also, galacts are not really considered a great beginner frog as they can be very difficult to breed.

Edit: It was mentioned, just found this:
Galacs and truncs are uncommon/expensive for a reason - they are tricky to breed successfully (not to mention sex in the first place). They are nice easy frogs for the most part, but a lot of people have some very serious issues breeding them, otherwise I would have recomended them in my other post. Both those species I'd say were more of an "intermediate" tinc group frog.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I voted for "Other" because my first were imitators and I found them not to be to difficult.
I have seen them within one year be extremely shy and also not shy at all. It all depends on what they are used to, if there is a lot of back ground movement in the area they are at, then they just take it for granted. No or little movement and they become the most reclusive guys ever.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i voted for azureus since they were my first frogs.. Mine have been bold and problem-free(knock on wood) since I got them almost a yr ago. I couldn't be more happy with them especially since they just started to lay eggs like crazy.. plus they are blue and black My favorite colors :) cant go wrong there haha

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm fairly new to PDFs (but not to herps in general)

I currently have D. auratus and D. leucomelas.

I voted for the D. leucomelas, just because mine are very active and voratious eaters. As a newbie, it was very satisfying to see them chow down hours after I placed them in their new vivarium.

My D. auratus are beautiful, but they are less active and a bit more shy. They also don't eat quite the way the leucs do, so they aren't growing as quickly.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts