Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I did a background with GS and I am at the part where I am about to silicone the material to the GS.

My friend used coco fibre with a mixture of peat moss.

Anyone have any other suggestions? things they used and liked? Any pictures?

I dont want it to look all brown, but would like to have green and brown mixture going i guess.

Ideas? suggestions?:)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking for in a background. Some people like them to be almost the focus of the viv. I'm the opposite, I think it should just be a backdrop for cool plants and frogs...and increase usable space of course. I think a mix of 70% peat and 30% coco looks the best. The fine peat sticks really well and the texture looks very natural (too much coco doesn't look natural to me...even though it is). Having a very basic background covering is fine once the plants start to grow in, especially if you use vines that climb up it. Honestly I think it looks much better than an over-done background that will be obscured by plants within a few months. Then again, some people do really intricate backgrounds that turn out awesome.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you use peat in the back ground mix it's very likely it'll sprout mosses and ferns given appropriate conditions (good misting and high light,) eventually.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I really like EcoWeb or EpiWeb or whatever it is that First Ray's sells. The stuff is awesome. You can add texture and structure to it by gorilla gluing pieces together, etc. I make fake vines and have them growing out of it too. Then, as plants grow and the panels moss in, the whole thing begins to look very alive and beautiful.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I really like EcoWeb or EpiWeb or whatever it is that First Ray's sells. The stuff is awesome. You can add texture and structure to it by gorilla gluing pieces together, etc. I make fake vines and have them growing out of it too. Then, as plants grow and the panels moss in, the whole thing begins to look very alive and beautiful.
is ecoweb flexible? like can you take a panel and make a cylinder with it? thanks

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I did something new in my last build (new to me). I shredded sphagnum moss up and put it on the black foam while it was drying. I did that because with proper moisture and lighting the sphagnum will eventually turn green. Here are some pix. I didn't do a thread yet on this build.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is ecoweb flexible? like can you take a panel and make a cylinder with it? thanks
I got off the phone with a supplier in the US he said the product is NOT flexible however with some effort you can cut a piece off and bend it into a cylinder but you will have to glue it together.

just thought i'd share that with you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use a really dusty peat moss, and sift it so it is till it is just a fine dust. It works very nicely for fake vines, and trees.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts