Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Nikita tincs, that are very active and fat. Both of them climb the glass; one of them climbs to the top most leaf of their philodendron in a 10 gallon tank and jumps up, smashing into the tank top and falling back down, is this ok, or is it a sign of stress? I thought at first that he was after a food item, but I don't see anything up there. I know it's recommended to put 2 in a 20 gallon, so I set one up 2 days ago, but should I wait before adding them (didn't know if it was like setting up a tank and letting it cycle)? The vivarium they're in now has been set up for years, with periods of time with nothing living in it, but did have another pdf living in it a few months ago. Another question I have is I found mites in the ff culture I've been feeding and I'm worried that they will harm my frogs, what should I do? I got rid of the culture, but I'm sure some mites were dumped into the tank. Any information would be most welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
climbing can be a sign of stress, how long have they been in the ten?how often do they climb to the top? how old are the two? pictures of both vivs would be great. a lot of people wait a while to let the micro fauna establish, but it sounds like you may have to switch out sooner. mites are fine, the frogs will eat them hahaha

·
Registered
67 Posts
The mites are no problem for the frogs as they will eat them. Assuming there are not millions of them that swarm over the frogs adding stress. As for the FF cultures. It is difficult to get them 100% free of mites. What you really want to do is keep the popluation down so that you are throwing away the culture before the mites become too numerous. There are recent threads on how to culture subsequent generations to reduce the number of mites.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are probably stressed since they have no good hiding spots except in the pathos. Add leaf litter for them to hide in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts