Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a group of 4 dendrobates auratus bronze and turqoise, they are about 9-11 months old. They are not particularly bold, still hopping away as I come near. However in the recent months one of the frogs is always out, not moving if I come close. He/she is always the first to eat and seems to eat much more than the others. I feed daily once usually but twice every other couple days. The others do come out as well and they all seem to interact. I'm wondering what may be causing the individual to be particularly bold, perhaps female or male? And any tips on sexing for this species would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm sure you know,, but males call. And if you ever see two frogs following each other very very closely, it is typically the female who follows the male to indicate that she is ready to breed and lay eggs.

Females also fight sometimes by wrestling, often time bear hugging from behind or scrapping face to face.

Males don't wrestle as often in my experience, they establish dominance through calling, intimidation, and some wrestling but then once dominance is established, the sub-dominant manle just hides a lot.

I've had both males and females exhibit the bold dominance behavior that you are describing. Maybe so one else can remind me if female auratus establish and defend breeding territories.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts